Nitration-30
TBN-2.88

No Lead reported.

Here's the last oil I ran for 15k.

Blackstone Labs.

Miles on unit:17k

Miles on oil:15k

Make-up oil: .5 quarts.

You've run this oil for about 88% of this young engine's life, and that's the reason that we are still finding high
iron, copper, and silicon. We normally expect wear-in to be past by the time you get to about 10,000 miles, but when
you run long oil changes from the start, the process takes longer. You'll get there eventually, though you could speed
the process along by changing the oil at 7,500 miles next time. Note fuel at 3.0%. This is more than we like to see but
hopefully it's from rings seating. The TBN read 4.1 showing some active additive left. Check back.

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 18
COPPER 9
LEAD 1
TIN 11
MOLYBDENUM 1
MANGANESE 1
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 5
SILICON 58
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 3206
MAGNESIUM 11
PHOSPHORUS 594
ZINC 711
BARIUM 1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.85
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 55.3
TBN-4.1

Flashpoint in °F 315
Fuel % 3.0
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles 0.3

i have been waiting to see something like this because

A) everyone seems to bash mobil 1 oils and this proves that mobil 1 EP is quite a stout oil capable of taking more than its own. not to mention it still had a TBN of 4.1 which is great after 15k.

B) the fact that the prius is a hybrid and has ALOT of engine starts when more power is required seems like it would be tough on oil, especially considering that the engine might not run long enough to bring the oil up to full operating temperature thus expediting the wear.

Last edited:
I think some bash Mobil 1 5W-30 (mainly for high iron readings) but I'm not sure I've seen anyone bash Mobil EP. Most here will tell you that it's one of the best oils. I've switched from Mobil AFE to EP this year and am loving it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pesca
Which M1 EP is it? 5w30 (guess from the 100C vis)?

Are you not supposed to run 0w20 oils in the Prius, even the 2nd gen?

This was 5w-30. Manual calls for 5w-30, or 5w-20 is listed there also I think. This was over a 10 month period. Woulda been shorter, but I missed a few months of work with back surgery.

Originally Posted By: montero1
No Lead reported.

Blackstone Labs.

You've run this oil for about 88% of this young engine's life, and that's the reason that we are still finding high
iron, copper, and silicon. We normally expect wear-in to be past by the time you get to about 10,000 miles, but when
you run long oil changes from the start, the process takes longer. You'll get there eventually, though you could speed
the process along by changing the oil at 7,500 miles next time. Note fuel at 3.0%. This is more than we like to see but
hopefully it's from rings seating. The TBN read 4.1 showing some active additive left. Check back.

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 18
COPPER 9
LEAD 1
TIN 11
MOLYBDENUM 1
MANGANESE 1
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 5
SILICON 58
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 3206
MAGNESIUM 11
PHOSPHORUS 594
ZINC 711
BARIUM 1

TBN-4.1

Flashpoint in °F 315
Fuel % 3.0
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles 0.3

This one was Amsoil SSO.

Last edited:
No Lead reported.

Blackstone Labs.

AMSOIL SS0

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 18
COPPER 9
LEAD 1
TIN 11
MOLYBDENUM 1
MANGANESE 1
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 5
SILICON 58
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 3206
MAGNESIUM 11
PHOSPHORUS 594
ZINC 711
BARIUM 1

TBN-4.1

Flashpoint in °F 315
Fuel % 3.0
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles 0.3

No Lead reported.

Blackstone Labs.

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 18
COPPER 9
LEAD 1
TIN 11
MOLYBDENUM 1
MANGANESE 1
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 5
SILICON 58
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 3206
MAGNESIUM 11
PHOSPHORUS 594
ZINC 711
BARIUM 1

TBN-4.1

Flashpoint in °F 315
Fuel % 3.0
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles 0.3

This one was Amsoil SSO.

Nice numbers too.

Really good choice of oils.
thumbsup2.gif

My Summary for this UOA: 15,000 miles over 10 months of Mobil 1 EP for a part time engine that does alot of "engine starts and stops" and still has adequate TBN 2.88 left. That's pretty darn good!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thomas34
My Summary for this UOA: 15,000 miles over 10 months of Mobil 1 EP for a part time engine that does alot of "engine starts and stops" and still has adequate TBN 2.88 left. That's pretty darn good!

Right now I have Formula Shell Full Synthetic (Grey Bottle w/Blue Label) 5w-30. It's so cheap at Costco, couldn't resist. I'll keep it in for 10k.

Seems to me that in hybrids such as this with engines that only run "part-time" that UOAs are kind of pointless at least for the first 50k mi or so.

You've got an engine that will take significantly longer to break in that other cars leaving results showing high wear metal numbers so the report isn't going to tell you much of anything about actual wear taking place.

If I owned one, I'd pick an oil for my budget/preferences, run one analysis to make sure its still keeping its TBN over the recommended drain interval and then call it a day.

Just how are these engines supposed to break in properly anyway? Constant start/stop of engine in city traffic would make me think that ring seating would be an issue.

The OPs UOA is not much different then mine for almost identical milage on vehicle and OCI. I used regular M1.. he used EP. I'll try the EP and see if mine change much. BTW, here is my UOA..

2007PriusTouringOilReport012810.jpg

Originally Posted By: buickman50401
Seems to me that in hybrids such as this with engines that only run "part-time" that UOAs are kind of pointless at least for the first 50k mi or so.

You've got an engine that will take significantly longer to break in that other cars leaving results showing high wear metal numbers so the report isn't going to tell you much of anything about actual wear taking place.

If I owned one, I'd pick an oil for my budget/preferences, run one analysis to make sure its still keeping its TBN over the recommended drain interval and then call it a day.

Just how are these engines supposed to break in properly anyway? Constant start/stop of engine in city traffic would make me think that ring seating would be an issue.

Highway driving they run 95%+ as much as a regular car's engine. They can spend a lot of time off in the city, primarily when decelerating and stopped at lights.

The 2010 Prius has a 2ZR-FXE 1800 cc engine which is the Atkinson Cycle version of the Corolla 2ZR-FE Engine. Among other differences, the Prius version has 13.0:1 compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back