Scangauge II users: your 4 favourite displays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got mine yesterday. So far find myself using mostly:

RPM
IGN
LPH
cWT

First is because I have no tach. Use that with the 2nd and 3rd (Liters per hour) to try and improve my current 30 mpg average. Last one is water temp in celsius; this one gets toggled a lot right now to peek in on different things, but the top 3 are constants.

-Spyder

RPM
TFT (transmission fluid temperature)
KR (knock retard in degrees)
MPG

I have a lot of other things programmed in there to cycle through like O2 sensor readings. The TFT gets cycled a lot. The KR and MPG are constants since the car is prone to knocking on E10.

I like this thing. It's made me a more conservative driver in the name of fuel efficiency.

I went through a lot of configurations and ended up with :

RPM MPH
MPG GPH

RPM Revolutions per Minute
MPH road speed
MPG Miles per Gallon
GPH Fuel flow in gallons per hour

Haven't found how to display TFT yet (Honda Odyssey)

RPM (car has no tach) tank fuel mileage, instant fuel mileage and trip fuel mileage. I sometimes toggle the tank mileage to show trans fluid temp, coolant temp or something else.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I like to have at least 6 gauges available plus closed/open loop indicator on mine.

- Vikas

How can you show 6 gauges on the Scangauge II?

Last edited:
SFT LFT
(COOLANT) MPG

SFT (short term fuel trims) & LFT (long term) for tunning my turboed NA car. Wish I could use CHT or KR. It would of been nice to see the temp diff bet ween pre and post E85 temps with CHT. IGN is ok as long as you know the factory norm numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I like to have at least 6 gauges available plus closed/open loop indicator on mine.

- Vikas

How can you show 6 gauges on the Scangauge II?

He has Ultra Gauge.

My "normal" drive-around display is RPM (Toyota/Lex hybrids replace the tach with an instant econ gauge), coolant temp, fuel flow, and mph (even with proper sized tires, my Camry's speedo is ridiculously high-reading -- will show 80mph when both ScanGauge-II and the GPS say I'm doing only 76 mph...).

I will use others as specific questions or conditions dictate.

Oil Temp
Coolant Temp
Transmission Temp
MPG

The main reason I got the scan gauge is to monitor the
EOT/ECT. It is a 6.0 Ford Diesel and the diff between the
oil & coolant portends a problem with a plugged oil
cooler. I really like the device.
34.gif

I'm loving mine - now that I have it I wonder how I did without it before. A lot of you guys look to be using X-Gauge features. I haven't tried those yet (partly because I'm still learning the built in functions, partly because I'm not sure which protocol my Canadian assembled Corolla uses).

-Spyder

I do not have one, but often consider getting one.
But I always relent, knowing that any gain in MPG would never equal the costs of the unit.

But it sure seems that MPG readings are high on everyone's list.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But I always relent, knowing that any gain in MPG would never equal the costs of the unit.

I bought one 5 years ago I really enjoy having the info.It is fun. I would buy another one. I have run it in my wifes Powerstroke and my sons 2006 Toyota and the 1996 Toyots p/u. I like the trouble code read outs and resets.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

I thought the same way too mechtech, and I never did buy one - this was a birthday gift that arrived early. Based on what I'm seeing so far, I know that - even if I had bought it - it would pay for itself fast. To give you an idea of why I know this:

My average tank average pre-Scanguage was 30 mpg. Already, while still learning how to use it, I'm consistently pulling trip averages of 33-38 mpg. Those have either been all city or a mix of both. By the time I've gotten the hang of it, I expect to be consistently getting 35-40 mpg. And I may pull off more as I can modify things with instaneous feedback on mileage impact.

Then there's all the little extras you get out of it too, which allow so much feedback on what's going on under the hood. And if you pop a CEL the scanguage will record the ECU parameters present when the code popped, which your ordinary code reader can't do.

I love mine and I haven't even gotten to the X-gauge stuff yet.

Edit: as an aside, while getting 30 mpg I was thinking the guys on the other forums I visit who were posting 40+ mpg with the same car I have were all either full of [censored] or doing nothing but highway at granny speeds. Now I know they weren't, and I'm learning how to do it - and with no granny driving involved and just doing my regular driving that I do anyway (but better as I watch the impact a given throttle position has on ignition timing and fuel efficiency, and then adjust slightly to maximize both).

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
And if you pop a CEL the scanguage will record the ECU parameters present when the code popped, which your ordinary code reader can't do.

Thats actually info the PCM records, just most code readers dont bother pulling it. If you plug a Scangauge into a car that already has a CEL and pull the code you can still get the running parameters when the code was set. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back