Jacking points, misc info for 2005 Kia Spectra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister will be visiting this weekend, and I think she's due for an oil change on her 2005 Kia Spectra. I've changed the oil on it once before, I think, but IIRC that time I was someplace else and had ramps. I may end up wanting to rotate its tires too depending on how they look.

I don't know what the underside of the car looks like and I don't have a service manual. Does anyone have any input on the following?

1) Front and rear jacking points. I'm guessing there will be a sturdy cross member in front to use but I don't know what to expect on the rear.

2) Lug nut torque. If I can't find anything I'll just use my old standby of 80 ft*lbs.

3) Oil drain plug torque. OK, I realize this one's obsessive. If I can't find a spec I'll use my old standby of ~30 ft*lbs.

Like I said I'm mainly interested in jacking point info if anyone knows anything. This is the model that's based on the same year Hyundai Elantra, with the 2.0 Beta II engine IIRC.

Front subframe for the engine. Rear tow hooks for the rear. Jack stands with padding under the factory jack points marked on the pinch seams.

Other things look fine. I've never had a problem with 1/8 turn over hand-tight for the drain plug.

Remember, NO FRAM oil filter!!!! They will cause idle rattles at best, and kill the engine from oil starvation at worst. Hyundai engines in general, and the Beta family in particular, don't play well with Fram oil filters.

For complete torque specs and a free service guide, see http://www.kiatechinfo.com - registration is free.

Drain plug: 39.2 ~ 44.1N-m (4.0 ~ 4.5kg-m, 28.9 ~ 32.5lb-ft)

Filter: listed on the filter if you buy OEM. I strongly recommend an OEM filter - they are very well built and are cheap.

Wheels: 90~110 Nm (900~1,100 kgf·cm, 65~80 lbf·ft)

I went ahead and listed the torque specs here, but the www.kiatechinfo.com site is very useful to have around. It lists almost everything you need, plus you can get access to TSBs and electrical information.

Great info, thanks! I had heard previously that Hyundai service info was free online but didn't know that extended to Kia as well. I'll have to check that out. This is the kind of thing that tempts me to look at Hyundai/Kia vehicles in the future.

I'll keep the Fram warning in mind although I probably wouldn't have had her get one of those anyway. I won't be near any Kia dealerships in time but I may be able to pick up an OEM Hyundai filter -- otherwise I can get Wix filters locally which are probably just as good or better.

Yes, the Hyundai filters are the same as the Kia ones... They share a common p/n and even have both names on them. If the Kia takes a 26300-35503 filter, you can get it at a Hyudai dealer with no problem.

The OE filters are heavy like a rock and a sight to behold. Look like they should go on a rolls royce.

IMO your drain plugs are too tight and lugs too loose.

80 lbs is plenty more than enough for a little puddle jumper like that. Heck even some bigger cars take that torque.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

IMO your drain plugs are too tight and lugs too loose.

21.gif
They're to spec.

Got an OEM filter for it. It is a heavy one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back