? maintenance on a craftsman rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
good evening fellas. i have a ? regarding my 10 yr old craftsman lt1000 with the 16 hp kohler engine. is there any other maintenance to do to it other than oil and filter change,air filter,spark plug,grease the front end? is there anyway to drain the rear end oil and change it?
thanks,
whitearrow->>>------------>

I got one about that age with the 17 HP Kohler. There is no way to drain and refill the transaxle as I recall, unless you intend to break it open and do a rebuild. So far, no issues have developed and I just mow on. I also have the rough hour intervals for the rest of the maintenance if you need it.

thanks jayhawkroy. would you believe that i am still running the stock belts!!! now that i said that i bet 1 will break when i mow again lol.

Is this a hydrostatic drive? It is possible to drain/fill them by removing the transaxle from the tractor to dump and fill through the top vent. There's a few posts on this in this forum.

Joel

jtk thats a negative on the hydro trans. it has a gear trans. is it still a option to dump and refill? if so exactly how please?

The only sears gear drive I'm familiar with is the dual range, garden tractor version made up to a few years ago. That one had side mounted drain/fill plugs and took gear oil. No idea on yours. It's possible it just has grease in it.

in the manual there is a illustration of all the maintenance points and where the rear axle chunk is the is an arrow that says 10w-30 also where the gear shifter is there is an arrow that reads 10w-30 too. i looked it over and am confused as to the manufacturer suggestions.
thanks,

That's cool that it actually has labeling telling you to use motor oil in the trans. That's not an unusual spec for lawn/garden tractors. My 1979 model year Case 220 can take either motor or gear oil in the transaxle. That's true for any transaxle with straight cut gears. The real cheapies are filled with grease.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back