Hoppe's #9 solvent and lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finding that Hoppe's #9 oil (clear oil in small bottle with needle like applicator) causes the least amount of gumming on stainless than anything used to date.

Anyone else ever use this?

I have some #9 around & used it routinely. I also don't get to hung up on 'what lube'. The important thing is to use SOMETHING and give your firearms regular care. That means a few patches down the bore,maybe a brush if needed, & a wipedown with a lightly oiled cloth. You want that gun looking fine 25yrs+ down the road.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
I am finding that Hoppe's #9 oil (clear oil in small bottle with needle like applicator) causes the least amount of gumming on stainless than anything used to date.

Anyone else ever use this?

Pete591,

Hoppe's clear oil is an excellent mineral oil that gets the job done but how it compares to synthetics like Breakfree then I can't say. My standard is Breakfree but would use Hoppe's with no second thoughts cuz my goal is to have a good day of target shooting.

Don't get caught up in the oil issues cuz I believe they all spout superior cleaning ability and such. Personally I have so many samples on my shelve it'll take me a good 4-8 years to get through it all before buying another. Besides that everything is so high in Caliufornia it take longer to get the job done. Stick to any oil you like and save your money on ammo.

Durango

Hoppe's No. 9 has been used forever and is mainly a solvent to get the gun clean. I prefer to oil my current guns with Breakfree, which can also be used as a cleaner as well as a lubricant. I usually clean the gun with Hoppe's No. 9 and then oil with Breakfree. Hoppe's also makes gun oil for lubricating a gun after cleaning.

I used to own a gun that simply would not function correctly if I lubricated it with Breakfree. It was so bad I stopped using Breakfree for a long time. I don't know what was wrong with that gun but every other gun I have had worked perfectly good with Breakfree.

From GrantCunningham.com -

One product that scores pretty well in corrosion testing is also readily available and dirt cheap. It also has good migration, a good boundary lubrication package, is the right weight (thickness) for general firearms use, doesn't oxidize over long periods of storage, and is compatible with a wide range of metals and plastics. In addition, it is recommended by at least one real degreed firearms engineer! Just what is this miracle elixir??

Dexron-type Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). That's right, plain ol' ATF. The kind you get at every gas station, auto parts store, and even most convenience stores. Synthetic or regular, either will work just fine. (ATF does have a slight odor to it. If you find that objectionable, a decent alternative that is still readily available is "NyOil." Check your local auto parts store, in the aisle where they keep the miscellaneous lubricants and additives.)

Yes, I am familiar with his article as it is pasted all over the net as doctrine, yet he provides no specific information as to where he came to his decision.

Motor oil contains higher levels of AW, corrosion inhibitors, and have lower pour points (usually) so there is no reason to use ATF over motor oil unless that's all you have.

They also aren't dyed red that will stain your clothing.

Im always cleaning up my rifles with #9. Great solvent for surplus ammo and its dirt cheap. Less than $3 at Walmart!! This stuff will take off more carbon from my bores than any cleaner. Ill clean them first with other stuff and then with #9 just to see how much the other cleaners didnt do. Amazing product.
01.gif

I've been using RemOil since it had decent reviews and was only $2/ounce. That ounce will go very far when you're not cleaning a 12gauge. It takes so much just to soak a shotgun patch. I'm sure you could clean a 9mm 10-20 times or more on the same amount of oil as a 12 gauge.

Anyway, I bought a shotgun cleaning kit for a good price and it happened to have Hoppe's solvent (which smells like Banana Boat suntan oil, good stuff) and the oil. The kit was pretty cheap and the box is thin plastic (but at least I have a box now) but the solvent and oil appear to be top notch.

I just can see why the solvent is in a pill bottle with no tip. Its too small to dip a brush in, but too large to spill a few drops onto a patch. I guess you can dip a patch in there but it will take a while to quit dripping so you don't make a mess and waste product.

I like the Hoppes for general cleaning. Butch's Bore Shine for my rifle bores.

Break-Free for most lube applications but I do have a few problematic Browning shotguns that want to rust - no matter what kind of oil that I use.

A few years ago someone gave me a couple quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 and I tried it on my firearms. No rust! WOW!

HA! If I ever run out then maybe I'll try the ATF.

"""take off the grips and clean and oil in there? """

I do-and completely soak every inch and nook and cranny I can get to, with Breakfree and hang it up for a few hours till it all runs off

Steve

IIRC I used No. 9 Gun Oil back in '88 or so when I put up our 6.5 Arisaka for storage. About 12 or so years later my brother took it to either a gunsmith or his neighbor reloader and had the bore 'scoped. ZERO rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back