Questions about Aluminized Steel Exhaust...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
IM considering a dual split exhaust system from Gibson, but it only is made in Aluminized Steel. That being said, I live in the rust belt, and once the finish wears off I hear this material will start to rust. I heard on the internetz that this problem could be solved using high tempeture BBQ grill paint. Does anyone agree with this suggestion of the high temp paint, or would this just be a temparary fix?...Or does anyone have other suggestions to help preserve the aluminzed finish on this exhaust system I want?
Thank you for any info!

A quality high temp header paint, like VHT, should extend the life of the tubing considerably, provided that you touch it up on a regular basis. Abrasion from rocks, dirt, and salt spray will cause nearly any coating to deteriorate over time, it's just a matter of what you're willing to do/spend to prevent failure. SS tubing would be your best bet, as it forms its own passivation layer and as such will not require retouching. It's all according to what your time/budget allows
thumbsup2.gif

Aluminized steel is better than plain steel, for sure. [concerning rusting]
You can paint any type, though. This should help even more.

Count on frequent touch ups ! Don't think the paint will last for years .

I had a Gibson cat back exhaust on my Frontier. Installed it Spring of 2003. Muffler rusted through at inlet by fall 2008. I reinstalled factory system I had stashed in basement. Frankly, the Gibson system didn't improve performance much at all.

Quote:

Aluminized steel is better than plain steel, for sure. [concerning rusting]

Assuming the gauge of steel is the same. I was told years ago, aluminizing was being used by some mfg to justify using a thinner stock steel.

Originally Posted By: donz26
I had a Gibson cat back exhaust on my Frontier. Installed it Spring of 2003. Muffler rusted through at inlet by fall 2008. I reinstalled factory system I had stashed in basement. Frankly, the Gibson system didn't improve performance much at all.

I instantly felt a gain between 2K and 4K just like they said.

The first Gibson system I had was aluminized. It lasted 7 or 8 years before it rusted out behind the muffler. At that point, the muffler was still rust-free.

I replaced it with the SS unit because I found a place online selling the SS system for under $400.

I opted for the stainless steel. Single swept-side. No complaints. I wouldn't even consider the aluminized.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I opted for the stainless steel. Single swept-side. No complaints. I wouldn't even consider the aluminized.

That's what I did. The pipes are still like new in a car kept outside through Chicago salty winters.

I really like the Mufflex single turndown 3.5" system for my car, the problem is that they ONLY offer it in aluminized steel, and refuse to make this in stainless (except one can opt for a 400 series stainless Magnaflow muffler in this system instead of the Spin Tech or Flowmaster aluminized ones).

I guess it's a no go for me as well unless I Swain/Jet Hot/whatever coat it, and THEN black powdercoat it on top of that (IF it would even stick).
But by that point I am probably up to the cost of a custom duplicate system in REAL 304 stainless!!

It's a shame because I love the ANTI-pimpbling stealth of this system.
frown.gif

I had a Dynomax aluminized steel cat back system on my old 2001 Ranger. It didn't rust at all in the 2-3 years I had it. I know a guy on a Ranger forum though who had the same truck and same exhaust, but in NY. I think he went through exhaust systems every couple of years or 100,000 miles (the truck was used for courier work).

Three years is about the life of an aluminized exhaust system here in the rust belt.

I always like to point out that replacement mufflers don't always have the drain hole in the bottom to remove condensation. I always drill one at the bottom to help keep the muffler from rotting inside out.

There seems to be a huge difference between OEM and aftermarket.
Cars i know 100% to still have or recently replaced factory parts.

99 Ford Expedition OEM lasted till this week.
2002 Denali still okay
95 Toyota Tercel 13 yrs OEM
99 Ranger 10 yrs New walker showing signs of heavy rust after 1 yr.
2000 Pontiac GP 10 yrs
2000 Toyota Solara still on OEM

All running in MA where salt use is extensive,the Toyota got a new walker in 08 and its rotted out earlier this year even with a drain hole in the rear.

I will put a exhaust on the Expedition from the dealer just to see if its the same quality as OEM,it maybe cheaper in the long run.

Which of these cars have stainless exhausts? I know the japanese use 300-series stainless (it'll last nearly forever). Some American products use 409ss (lower quality).

I've recently been shopping for exhaust systems and find that a good quality 300-series stainless costs about twice that of aluminized steel for the same application.

As far as i can tell for sure only on the Solara.The rest I'm not sure but guess all had some SS components after the cat.The walker i bought for the Tercel from walker was the quiet flow 3 and it has been replaced by Walker under guarantee with the quiet flow SS.

With over 10 years average life span in New England it seems the SS is definitely cost effective on a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back