K 1 vs K 2 kerosene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy's, I have a question for you heating experts or none experts for that matter, I have to use kerosene for my heating fuel for the winter ( have a boiler for heat) and the tank ( 275 gal and sits outside in the shade all year long ) with no chance of moving tank, the person who lived here before me tried to use cut heating fuel and also heating fuel with an additive which both did not work,( both gelled up ) I dont know if the fuel was cut correctly or not just going by what he told me, So for the past 2 winters I have been using K1 kero. I am looking at using K2 kero because of the price difference $2.55 a gal vs $ 3.35 for K1. My neighbors who have the same scenerio as I do, had tried the switch and claim that they went thru twice as much k2 vs k1 and say to stay with K1, they claim that you will go thru the K2 much quicker, and you will end up burning twice as much. very little is said about the difference's between the two on any web site except that K1 is more refined and K2 is tinted red,Any one with any experience between the two. thanx

IIRC 1-K is heavily treated to remove sulfur, so it is useful for kerosine heaters, etc. It is "odorless".

I am thinking that if my memory serves me correctly, that there isnt really a 2-K, it is really dyed, untaxed #2 diesel.

The difference between #1 diesel and 1-K kerosine is really sulfur content, not hydrocarbon makeup.

#2 fuel should have slightly higher energy content, but it is also slightly less volatile, so the application may not be tuned/designed to combust it efficiently.

32.gif
In England they call Kerosene "28 second oil" for its rate dripping through a specific viscometer orifice. #2 home heating oil is "32 second oil."

Is this a trailer park? A local dealer here has 5 cents off if the park gets together for a same-day delivery.

They blend (undyed) kerosene in OTR diesel up to 40% to fight gelling, so the oil dealer could have screwed up the mix, or it could just have a bad attitude. I've seen that little copper feed pipe that goes to the furnace get "chloresterol" on K1 so frequent filter changes etc are a good idea.

I'm not sure what kind of calculations your neighbors are doing, but the consumption rate of No.1 Kero vs. No. 2 should not be anywhere near 2:1...there should be hardly any difference. As mentioned above, the biggest difference is the lack of red dye in No. 1 and a reduced level of Sulfur. If the fuel is being burned in a boiler, I would switch to K2 without hesitation.

As for the gelling issue...make sure the threaded connections on the top of the tank are tight and sealed properly to prevent water from contaminating the fuel. Also, if the filter housing is located outside with the tank, consider moving it inside. Assuming the tank is pitched properly, any water will eventually end up in the filter. Outside filter + water in filter = Frozen

How come there is no chance of moving the tank? Is your house on a concrete slab?

Maybe a Kat's pad or magnetic heater on the bottom of the tank would help with cold weather problems.

Last edited:
The consumption should be quite similar so I'm thinking there are other variables at work here.

You might want to look into a product called PRI-D that rejuvenates kero/diesel. I've heard good things about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back