Subaru now recommends Synthetic, some 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bodeh6, where's that from?

It says that 5W-30 and 0W-20 is available. Then it says that "5W-20 synthetic is required for all 2011 turbo engines". Typo?
54.gif

I'm sure Subaru will put out an official statement soon.

From subaruwrxparts:

Genuine Subaru Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30
With all of the options for engine oil, it's nice to know there is one you can trust for your Subaru. Genuine Subaru Synthetic Motor oil offers the following increased performance and protection for your engine:

* Superior protection against oil breakdown for a cleaner running engine and long engine life
* Increased protection against varnishing and deposits
* Superior lubrication reduces engine wear across the operating temperature range and optimizes fuel economy
* Reduces oil loss due to evaporation and burn off
* Recommended for ALL Turbocharged Subaru Engines
* Required for all Turbocharged engines 2011+(note: 2011 Forester will require Genuine Subaru 0W-20 Synthetic Oil)

-Dennis

Well I can see that my current Subaru will be my last. While I like the idea of a chain instead of the belt I can just think how much that cover WILL leak down the road.
smirk2.gif

I'd never buy a turbo so I guess normal motors (Ie I4, V6, V8) for me.

Plus I know what my Boxer sounded like with a light 30wt oil, I can just think with 0w-20 sounds like.
shocked2.gif

And another thing for Subaru to be picky about IF you have any warranty issues. I'd love to see the manual on oil in a 2011.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Well I can see that my current Subaru will be my last. While I like the idea of a chain instead of the belt I can just think how much that cover WILL leak down the road.
smirk2.gif

Plus I know what my Boxer sounded like with a light 30wt oil, I can just think with 0w-20 sounds like.
shocked2.gif

And another thing for Subaru to be picky about IF you have any warranty issues. I'd love to see the manual on oil in a 2011.

Bill

Agreed. With PP 5w30 the H4 is a much louder beast. I too would not want to hear a 20 weight in it. Maybe the Subaru oil is formulated just right for the H4?
21.gif

You still have a leak in your H4 Bill?

It's a love/hate relationship with Subarus.. but I also see myself moving in the direction of a nice smooth Toyota/Honda I4/v6 with an auto which not long ago was pure blasphemy. My wife's Corolla is just the smoothest and nicest car to drive which got me thinking.

Originally Posted By: webfors

Agreed. With PP 5w30 the H4 is a much louder beast. I too would not want to hear a 20 weight in it. Maybe the Subaru oil is formulated just right for the H4?
21.gif

You still have a leak in your H4 Bill?

It's a love/hate relationship with Subarus.. but I also see myself moving in the direction of a nice smooth Toyota/Honda I4/v6 with an auto which not long ago was pure blasphemy. My wife's Corolla is just the smoothest and nicest car to drive which got me thinking.

Well I did a UOA after our 6k mile trip across the US (which btw, the Subaru did EXCELLENT. LOVE the powertrain
01.gif
) did not show any coolant in the oil BUT I still smell and use about a 1/2 cup of coolant in the overflow tank a month.
frown.gif
So either I have an external leak or something is lowering the level.
21.gif

Since its not *in* the engine its not going to lower the life of the motor. I'll take it in again when I have sometime to waste and have them again check it out. But of course, IF they find something and have to take it apart then I run a BIG risk of something else going wrong since lets face it, a boxer is NOT a SIMPLE engine. Esp for a 4 cyl.

I love the drive train and safety of the Subaru (when the wife was hit by the semi, the car did very well) but with the new ones going to chains (and like I said above, I can just see that cover (the H6 has tons of bolts) leaking) and their 0w-20 oil (which I'd not run) requirement I think all the other "issues" I have with Subaru when it comes time to get another vehicle for the wife, Subaru will be off the list. And that is funny since I was going to get a Forester for her not too long ago.

Hopefully we will just keep on going with this one for 4-5 more years. I doubt it but will see.

Take care, bill

PS: I hoped that when I did the coolant change (flushed it and did use the "conditioner stop leak") that it would stop with the smell and usage of coolant. Did not...

I don't know but being Honda guy as far as SUV goes I think that subaru are just more fun, and I don't see myself driving one (I do own CRV but I let my wife use it forester is for me only). Like all cars there are issues, the only perfect car that I owned was 2004 Honda Civic lx and 2000 Nissan Sentra 2.0 I don't know if it's me or are the cheap budget cars just made better? Sure they are not that family friendly but man do they take beating and last forever? As far as oil goes after one year of ownership and 20k behind me I still love my forester but what I learned that 5w-30 will be going in in the winter time, and for summer I need something havier like 5w-40 as the thin staff just gets burned fast, the consumption is up, so I will see how it will do on 5w-40. Any sugestions for 5w-40 synthetic oil? Just please don't say Mobil as I am not a fan and I would rather support the underdogs. Thanks.

Rotella T6 5w40 is a great choice. So is M1 0w40 and TDT 5w40, if you want to look at 40 weights.

GC is a good all year choice too. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: bodeh6
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html

Interesting stuff. No mention of a back spec for the 0w20. I wonder what changed in the 2011 H4.

I am surprised it took them so long to recommend synthetic in their turbo engines.
..no need to back spec the 0w/20..it has been sold for several yrs already in other parts of the world..

smirk2.gif

shocked2.gif

Bill
..my present subaru will be my last one..subaru along with chrysler don't have a very good track record useing chains that are lubricated by the motor oil..perhaps the use of synthetic oil may help with their longevity .. at least it will get you beyond the warranty

I love the drive train and safety of the Subaru (when the wife was hit by the semi, the car did very well) but with the new ones going to chains (and like I said above, I can just see that cover (the H6 has tons of bolts) leaking) and their 0w-20 oil (which I'd not run) requirement I think all the other "issues" I have with Subaru when it comes time to get another vehicle for the wife, Subaru will be off the list. And that is funny since I was going to get a Forester for her not too long ago.

I had a 2001 Outback with the H6 (first year of the H6 in the Outback). When I got rid of it, it had 150000KM on it and was eight years old. Didn't burn any oil, and the cover over the timing chain didn't leak a bit either. However, I will admit, that IF it did, having to remove 45 (or so) bolts would have been a pain.

yeah, I'm just not biting on the 20 weight in the H4. PP 5w30 is about as thin as I'm willing to go.

Good to know the 01 H6 had no major issues for 150K km.

I have used nothing but 5w-40 since my Subaru was new. At 500 miles I switched out the factory fill and put in PP 5w-40 European. I have now switched to Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic. The car seems to love it. No problems so far at all and she runs smooth. I have been doing 5K OCI's but I am going to switch to 7500 with the T6. 95% highway miles so it should last.

19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back