? about drain & fill coolant type '00 grandmarquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a 2000 model with only 42k on it and I would like to do a drain and fill before winter. what type of coolant should I use? The factory fill is the green stuff I guess.

After checking mine today (2000 MGM), It appears to be a dirty gold color but I have all service records for this car (only has 42k on it) and the coolant has never been touched. According to the pdf, the factory fill should've been green. What does dirty green coolant look like? should I drain and fill with green or gold? [censored] this sucks!

Worn out Green coolant can turn brown or dark. Car should've been FF with Green and if it hasn't been touched that's what it should be. You can use G-05 since it is backspeced but unless you flush all the old green out it won't increase the service life over the Green rating. Things is your coolant needs completely flushed out anyway. The Green coolant is really only a 2-3 year 30K mile coolant so it is overdue. So maybe you'd want to fully flush the old coolant and go with G-05 for longer service interval.

I wanted to flush the old green coolant on a low mileage 2000 Town Car that I picked up last year and had the same internal debate. After reading every piece of info on the internet regarding coolant for these motors I settled on the Ford Gold or G-05 coolant. I bought G-05 at the Ford dealer for $12/gal. I could have shopped around and saved $2 but didn't bother.

Our 2000 Expedition definitely came with G-05 in it. And that is what will be used on the drain and fill it is due for.

Here is what I do. Many of the coolant geeks on here will call me an idiot, but I have never had a coolant related problem, or any gunk in my radiator.

I drain the coolant using the petcok or pull the lower radiator hose.

I fill the system up with hose water, then run the car for a while, then drain again. I repeat this a third time, then I refill with 50/50 Walmart supertech all makes coolant, and distilled water.

The walmart coolant is 7 dollars, there is no need to spend big dollars on coolant unless you have an odd import with a weird coolant spec.

I do this once every fall, total cost is under 10 dollars.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The walmart coolant is 7 dollars, there is no need to spend big dollars on coolant unless you have an odd import with a weird coolant spec.

In all honesty, that's a rather reasonable suggestion. The Grand Marquis and the like are not terribly picky about coolant, as long as you don't let the thing run dry or something stupid like that. I'd do G-05 or Original Green and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Here is what I do. Many of the coolant geeks on here will call me an idiot, but I have never had a coolant related problem, or any gunk in my radiator.

I drain the coolant using the petcok or pull the lower radiator hose.

I fill the system up with hose water, then run the car for a while, then drain again. I repeat this a third time, then I refill with 50/50 Walmart supertech all makes coolant, and distilled water.

For my '94 LS400 I use T-Flush with garden hose and radiator petcock open, it took only 2-3 minutes to flush out all old coolant.
Turn off water and let radiator petcock open for a couple minutes to drain as much water out as possible.
With the radiator petcock still open I start to pour in concentrate Prestone/Peak all makes/all models via the T-flush, after a gallon had been in I close the radiator petcock and add coolant until full to make 50-50 coolant-water.
I flush my coolant every 2-3 years, the car is more than 230k miles now and has no problem with over heat, leaking ... Thermostat, water pump, upper hose and some heater hoses had been changed once, but that was expected. Those items do not lasted forever.

That engine can use conventional green or the Ford Gold. If you want to diligently flush the whole cooling system well with distilled water, you can go with the G-05 gold stuff and forget about it for the next 5 years. If you just want to do a quick radiator drain/fill, go with green 50/50 and do it every year.

I do agree with you that about T-flushes being effective and that dexclone does not cause sludge or shorten gasket life on every vehicle that was not FF with it. But I think the difference is Toyota has no other aftermarket equivalent while Ford has 2. Ford made its position clear to use Green or G-05 like I posted earlier, so apparently Ford thinks dexclone may shorten the life of the vehicle's gaskets or cause other issues.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I start to pour in concentrate Prestone/Peak all makes/all models
I may go this route now that the Prestone rebate has surfaced...any reason I shouldn't? Rebate applies to their lowtox stuff too

No offense but it was explained Ford's position and why you might not want to use dexclone (potential gasket compatibility, gumming) so I don't know what more anyone can tell you.

Offense taken, LOL, but really after doing more research, and reading the owners manual, I am gonna go with green standard PEAK after all.

I think that is a sound choice. The PEAK coolant has to say "original Green" on the front and not "Longlife" otherwise it is dexclone though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back