Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I generally ignore your posts but this is a doozy.

I disagree with you completely but arguing is pointless so ...

RP police never sleeps...

Has anyone notice a less of consumption in their motors from switching from PP to RP? I would make that jump in a heartbeat because my H22a loves motor oil..

I noticed I started consuming oil on the M1 15w50 I have in mine now. Which seems strange to me, as I thought that would if anything keep it from it. For the longest time, I never used a drop of oil, but then some problems started and it began. Not a whole lot, but enough to matter. I've fixed most of the issues I think, so I'm wondering if the RP 0w40 would prevent the consumption issue I'm having now. I'll report back for sure. I meant to change the oil last weekend, but probably won't till this one.

Semi-
32.gif

Originally Posted By: shpankey
I noticed I started consuming oil on the M1 15w50 I have in mine now. Which seems strange to me, as I thought that would if anything keep it from it. For the longest time, I never used a drop of oil, but then some problems started and it began. Not a whole lot, but enough to matter. I've fixed most of the issues I think, so I'm wondering if the RP 0w40 would prevent the consumption issue I'm having now. I'll report back for sure. I meant to change the oil last weekend, but probably won't till this one.

Hang with it for one more OCI. It will probably stop.

Originally Posted By: gaspo

I generally ignore your posts but this is a doozy.

I disagree with you completely but arguing is pointless so ...

RP police never sleeps...

Nor do the bashers who post false and ridiculous info and comments so what is your point? My argument with Arco has nothing to do persay with RP either. Just general disagreement.

You have to admit, it does seem weird for someone to be so committed to a single brand of lubricant.

Considering all the available options, and new/unique products on the market in the last 20 years, advertizing yourself as, and showing a deep conviction to RP in writing, in as much as responding dozens of times in every single RP thread, could lead the observer to conclude that the best explanation outside a clinical setting is a ~cloaked~ financial motive.

So, you're fixated on RP, why?

Some people have favorites. BFD.

Criticizing the person means you don't have anything to say against their argument. If that's the case, please leave the conversation to those of us who do.

To the contrary, it DOES have a LOT to say about their argument.

I tend to think he's more than just a satisfied customer and/or that his extreme bias IN ITSELF should be considered as somewhat invalidating of his statements, since they tend to be so heavily weighted against other brands.

I don't know what possesses you to think it's your place to police my comments made to another member here. It's not for you either to define who is permitted to participate in this or any threads. It's also self-contradictory to post an empty and accusational post, just for the purpose of making the same allegation of another member. At least mine is actually relevant to the original subject.
smirk2.gif

On that note, I suggest you go count to 20 in the corner or call a hotline or something.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
On that note, I suggest you go count to 20 in the corner or call a hotline or something.

I'm in a corner right now, actually.

Any suggestions for hotlines? I'm sort of at a logical stopping place with my work so it's a good time for a phone call.

Audi Junkie, have you ever heard of companies talking about "recognizing the brand"? There are people out there who buy the same kind of bread, coffee, cars and what not. It is the same when it comes to motor oil for some people.

When a member starts a thread asking for oil advise on a older car with over a certain amount(high) of miles, a lot of posters tell them to stick with what has brought them to the high miles without an issue. For NHHEMI, he had good luck with RP and he is loyal to that company. It is a character trait as well and shows that he likes stability in life, generally.

...and therefore has a lack of experience with the many other brands on the market.

How do you make unbiased comparisons with nothing to compare?

Oh, I drink Maxwell House, it's the best. No, I've never tried any other brands.

Thanks for explaining that to me and the group.

The example of motor lubes is even more compelling, since technologies change and advance. "Continuity" over several decades is simply non-existent.

There is also a technical aspect to it, it's not as subjective as a taste of coffee or a pretty colour of bottle.

I cannot fathom being so dedicated to such an obscure and not cost-effective brand over such a long period. It makes me somewhat suspicious, maybe that's just me.

...and therefore has a lack of experience with the many other brands on the market.

Oh, I drink Maxwell House, it's the best. No, I've never tried any other brands.

If he's had results from RP that satisfy him, why would he use anything different? Your comments about "unbiased comparisons" assumes that there would be some way to evaluate how one lubricant was performing better than another. How would you do that? Particularly if you're already getting the results you want from RP?

Just because NHHEMI is consistent in his message about his experience with RP doesn't make him a shill.

p.s. the use of the screen name Audi Junkie is pretty funny in this context. You seem fixated on Audi and/or VAG. Why?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Some people have favorites. BFD.

Criticizing the person means you don't have anything to say against their argument. If that's the case, please leave the conversation to those of us who do.

He's not criticizing the person per se, he's criticizing the person's zealous defense and promotion of said product. Constantly claiming "ad ho-minem" when it isn't where is just as bad as real ad ho-minem! It's any easy out.

I don't think he has ever said that Royal Purple is the best. He is just defending a product that has worked well for him for 2 decades. I will take his word when it comes to RP because he has had success for 2 decades. He never knocks any other oil or says that RP is better than M1 or what not. At least following his posts I have never seen it. He has every right to defend a product that has worked for him OVER 2 decades. Now if he starts saying RP is better than Brand "x" oil and he has never tried it, sure I would have a problem with it as well and your statement above would be validated.

All I have seen him do is defend a product that other people defame without any proof as to why do it. Proof sometimes is a two way street. If someone here wants proof that RP is Group IV and doesn't want to believe the RP tech that tell them its Group IV then maybe they need to show proof as to why they think its Group III and this is true about any other oil has well. Making assumptions from reading pour points, CCV and what not doesn't make proof or pudding.

Thats all.

If you have proof where NHHEMI has claimed RP to be the best over XX oil then I will be more than happy to eat my words and it will validate your above statement.

Wow, the lengths some folks will go to. Unbelievable.

I am not going to go read the drivel that is obviously being posted about me. I can get the jist. Lets be clear on a few things however please...

1 - I am far from the only person on this site who has a preferred brand and posts positive comments about it. Every single brand has those folks. I have 2+ decades using RP but I am constantly challenged on what I say by those with zero experience with it. Just lame.

2 - I don't have to beat up other member's preferred brands to make myself feel like a big deal. To some on here this is life or death I guess and it is taken way too far. I come here mostly for fun. I enjoy vehicles and was glad to find a place where my anal tendencies on maintenance have an outlet to be discussed with like minded folks. I don't come here to brow beat anyone into uising RP nor to avoid brand X, Y, or Z.

3 - I don't beat up on folks who have actually tried RP and had bad results. I had a less than stellar UOA with RP in my current vehicle and I posted about it. If I had an agenda I would not have done that or I would have fudged the #'s to make it look better. I do respond when people post outright falsr info or bash RP with nothing to back it up from a personal perspective however. Again, I am far from the only member here who will defend their preferred brand against false info and unfounded comments.

4 - I don't work for( now or ever )RP and I get nothing for posting positive comments about their products. I get tired of people saying I have ties to RP and that I am an RP shill. I am JUST someone who has used it for a long time and likes it.

5 - I do not say RP is THE best. I do say it is ONE OF the best. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. I also routinely recommend Penzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, Castrol, Kendall, Amsoil( yes I recommend it at times ), Redline, and Schaeffers. It all depends on what it is for and what the OP wants. I actually say NOT to use RP many times in new vehicles due to warranty concerns. It is hardly a case where I recommend nothing but RP to people as some imply.

6 - I have used many oil besides RP in my life. I do have experience wiith other oils to compare it with. Just because RP is my preferred brand and what I like to use doesn't mean I don't or have never used other brands. I use GTX or Valvoline conventional oil when I need dino. I will also use Penzoil, Valvoline, and Kendall synthetics with no hesitation. I Use Amsoil now in my outboard( from Pablo if you doubt me ).

7 - When a thread is about RP what should I post about? The tension in the middle east?
21.gif
I would say it is a pretty safe bet that I have as much or more experience with RP products as anyone on this site. So, why would I not respond in the RP threads?

The lengths people will go to to discredit RP, and me because I like it, amaze me.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
He's not criticizing the person per se, he's criticizing the person's zealous defense and promotion of said product. Constantly claiming "ad ho-minem" when it isn't where is just as bad as real ad ho-minem! It's any easy out.

I hear you.

Here's the thing: Most of what he says in support of Royal Purple isn't backed up by any real, objectively verifiable evidence. It's just opinion. That means it's not worth much, even if he's totally genuine and honest. By the same token, it could still have a grain of truth even if he is a shill for RP. See what I mean? His affiliation and motives are meaningless either way.

If he starts posting objectively verifiable information and making more substantial claims, then there will be something real at stake, and we can (and should) start questioning the source. Until then, you're just swinging a hammer at hot air.

If you want to criticize him for something, criticize him for not bringing anything more than anecdotes and opinion to the table. That should be more than enough. There is no reason to bring up his personal bias.

The lengths people will go to to discredit RP, and me because I like it, amaze me.
21.gif

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Hopefully you see that my point simply was that if you have a connection to RP, you should disclose it.

Most people here want a cost-effective product, and have long moved away from the costly "only the BEST" approach. I don't think anyone ever tried to assert that RP was the best bargain in an oil, so I'm just trying to get into the mindset that makes someone focus on it as an oil of "choice"....for 20+ years.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SL8R
the use of the screen name Audi Junkie is pretty funny in this context. You seem fixated on Audi and/or VAG. Why?

My screen name, besides being clever word play, is in part sarcasm and a bit of exaggeration for dramatic effect.

wonder what makes a person attracted to vehicles that are "RAM Tough!"...et al.

In fact, I've bought new Hondas, European and Domestic cars all within the last few years. So, it pays to know some facts about someone before jumping to conclusions. I like to think of myself as completely unbiased with oils, despite accusations otherwise. With cars, I'll label myself as "open-minded".

We've all heard from guys who bash/praise car brands, but have driven only one of two makes their whole lives. That's pretty lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back