Need new Front Load Washer, Your Opinion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lowe's do not have LG washers. If they do I would buy from them rather than from Home Depot. Of the two home improvement giants, I like Lowe's customer services better.

Actually there is no contradiction there. Lowe's is and should be the same across the board. Store, city, state shouldn't make a difference. Policy is to keep you, the consumer happy so that you come back and spend more of your hard earned money with US and not THEM. If that means losing a buck today to make 2 tomorrow from you, then that's what we'll do. If you are being treated unfairly at your Lowe's call G.O. and let them know, the DM will be there next day to headhunt if necessary.

wickerham,

You did contradict yourself. You said that Lowe's will go the extra mile in the customer service arena. If I have to yell at someone for customer service, they haven't even made it to mile marker 0 yet.

In theory, chain stores should be the same. In practice, that is pie in the sky.

Bumping this from the dead...

How are folks satisfied with their washers now? I'm in the market for an affordable ($600 or so) front-loader. Available chain stores where I'm moving are Lowe's and Sears Hardware. Likely some local shops also.

Just FYI, Home Depot will take the Lowes 10% off coupon no questions asked.

Shop by price.. I just bought a set of amana "heavy duty" top loaders, they are cheap and they work.

My LG front load washer is doing fine. Check the state, gas/water companies they may have rebates for certain washers. I paid about $500 for my LG after sale price and Lowes 10% off coupon from Home Depot, but I got 2-3 rebates from state and gas/water companies so that the net cost was about $220, tax included.

Last edited:
We shopped for a front loader 3 years ago but the mold issues scared us away. We purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio HE top loader and it works great.

Mold issues? When I was growing up in my house all we used was front loaders... never had any mold issues. Leave the door open after you pull your washed laundry out.

Mold issues with front loader ? My 12 years old front loader Frigidaire never had any problem with mold during its life.

It uses less water, less soap, gentle on cloths, can wash almost twice as much as top load ... what not to like ? The bonus is the good rebate(s) on some front load washers brings the cost down to around $200-250. Can a 3.5 cf top loader be purchased for less than $300 ?

We have had a set of Bosch front loaders for at least two years now. They are big, do a nice job, etc.

We prop open the washer door when done - no signs of mold.

We bought a set of front loaders once our 11 year old GE top load washer died (gear box and $285 to get just the box) so we got 2 LG units and very impressed with their performance.

Lowered the cost of gas and water about $18 a month and we do notice the clothes cleaner/smell better. Also 6 loads a week since Feb 10 (so over 6 months) and we just finished up our first SMALL container of HE liquid detergent. That is the longest we have used a $10 container. You use so little soap.

The mold/smell is non-issue if you leave the door open and once every 4-6 weeks run a clean cycle which keeps it clean.

The only negative thing is the washer does get out of balance on the spin at times and has to tumble back and forth till its better balanced and that operation takes a few minutes more. But when the clothes come out, they are close to dry due to the speed of the spin. And we keep ours on the med-high setting most of the time.

I'd buy them again. Also look for direct drive for the washer.

Take care, bill

Looking at some Samsung and LG ones to replace the worn out 8 year old Kenmore front-load and dryer. FWIW, Samsung and LG have 10 year warranties on the motors in their washers.

So buy by features and price is what I'm hearing. It happens that I'm looking at several Samsung and Whirlpool washers right now.

Whirlpool are Maytag built. Almost bought Samsung but bought LG more for stacking kits (made out metal and screw into the bottom unit instead of double sided tape with plastic) and LG had better layout of controls.

I stayed away from the steam as I feel something else to go wrong (and they bump up the price $200 for it). I'd rather (and did) spend more for size so you can wash more per load. Also did go stainless drums in both units.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back