2003 Caravan fuel pump hum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been requested to look my mothers 03 Caravan and track down an odd fairly high pitched hum. It's coming from the rt. rear wheel area and the hum does not change and is constant. It's loud enough to irritate & gets in your ear.

I can only assume the fuel pump is getting loud in that proximity.

Does this van have access thru the floor to R&R the pump?

What would this job cost at a good shop or Dodge dealer?

I told her if the fuel pump is infact failing the van will leave you stranded. I am more familiar with Ford pumps that can fail quietly & GM pumps that devlope more a buzzing sound before they fail.

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
My blazer's fuel pump hummed for several years before I replaced it. Even then it was still working fine but I had a short somewhere.

Originally Posted By: willix
I have been requested to look my mothers 03 Caravan and track down an odd fairly high pitched hum. It's coming from the rt. rear wheel area and the hum does not change and is constant. It's loud enough to irritate & gets in your ear.

I can only assume the fuel pump is getting loud in that proximity.

Does this van have access thru the floor to R&R the pump?

What would this job cost at a good shop or Dodge dealer?

I told her if the fuel pump is infact failing the van will leave you stranded. I am more familiar with Ford pumps that can fail quietly & GM pumps that devlope more a buzzing sound before they fail.

Am I on the right track?

My dad's chevy truck had 2 pumps replaced under warranty and the new one still makes noise. It's been that way since it was new and has approx 77K miles on it now.

No, there is no access to the pump from the floor. Is is fairly easy to lower the tank, though. The fuel pumps on these vans are fairly reliable; failures are not common at all. I help moderate an internet forum on these vans, and there's a lot of knowledge out there. It's pretty much the only Chrysler minivan forum out there. PM me if you need the address.

I have a 1995 Voyager that we have owned since new. The pump has always hummed/whined. When I replaced the OE pump at 176,000 miles the only warning it gave was some hesitation. When it went it went. I called AAA and they towed it home. I drained the tank and then lowered it and installed a new pump. The new one hums/whines like the old one. 30,000 miles with the new one and zero problems.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
No, there is no access to the pump from the floor. Is is fairly easy to lower the tank, though. The fuel pumps on these vans are fairly reliable; failures are not common at all. I help moderate an internet forum on these vans, and there's a lot of knowledge out there. It's pretty much the only Chrysler minivan forum out there. PM me if you need the address.
Thank's, I'll try to hunt down that site first. I may just change out the filter to see if this new humming noise corrects.

You cannot change the filter separately. It's one module, together with the pump. It's normally a lifetime service item, never requiring replacement. You'd have to drop the tank to replace either the pump or the filter.

I've had loud pumps and quiet pumps, and quiet pumps that got loud, and usually if they go from quiet to loud, failure is imminent. Some are loud from the start and last a long time. Changes in motor sound in any application are never a good sign.

Originally Posted By: willix
So there is no sevicable fuel filter on a 2003 caravan?
Chrysler hasn't had a replacable fuel filter for many years. At least the mid 90's that I can remember.

This is what I bought-what have I got myself into.
507816.jpg

Clean the area really well. Blow it out with air if you can.
Then spray WD40 or other lube around.
Don't use incandescent lights.

Pumps can make extra noise and work for years.
What we should watch out for is CHANGE.
Like a rattlesnake giving it's warning, fuel pumps rarely go out suddenly with no previous symptoms.

If I have to drop the tank to fit this thing I will be putting a pump in too. I can't have my 83 yr.old mother stranded on the interstate. Her driving skills are less than perfect and may not be-able to pull off a clean pullover without steering.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I am not getting a return e-mail to verify my registration.

Willix, Have you replaced your filter and/or pump? If you chose to replace filter first did it solve the humming sound?

Last edited:
Willix, some of these pumps are noisy after a while. I know the one on my dads Caravan was noisy as well and it never went bad.

If the sound bothers you then replace it by dropping the tank and removing the sending unit.

It's not easy, fun or cheap to have done.

Nothing you can dump in the tank will fix it either.
frown.gif

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back