Marine U-Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have new u-joints and a new gimble bearing for my '95 SX Cobra drive that I will be replacing soon here once I'm done using the boat for the season.

On Pablos advice, I was pretty set in using the Amsoil S2000 racing grease on that gimble bearing. It sees up to 5000prm so it seems like that would be a good fit. I am concerned though about it's use on the U-Joints. In the application information it does not say anything about U-Joints where as some of the other greases such as the HD #2 w/Moly specifically lists bearings, u-joints and other chassis parts.

I just want to make sure I get the best grease for the application, and the best protection and best performance out of the grease. The bearings and u-joints are "supposed" to stay dry since they are in a bellow, so I'm not concerned about washout, but once I replace these u-joints, they prob will not see grease for another couple of years so I want to make sure I have something that is going to hold up in a marine condition.

One other quick question. What exactly is "Spline Grease" and is a special grease actually needed for this, or will any grease due?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
I just used a general purpose grease on my Merc u-joints, and never had a problem. Mine only saw 4400 RPM though. Most owners never even lube them at all. I have seen them go 20 years and never see grease.

You do need a special grease for the spline though, normal grease will fly off the splined shaft.

Last edited:
After a coupler replacement a few years back I decided to purchase a tube of Mercruiser spline grease. I figured that due to the expense and pain in the rear to replace the coupler I would use the grease that Mercruiser suggests. It is blue in color and it does not sling off like the grease I used before. I have been using Mobil 1 grease for my gimble and u-joints. So far so good with 600HP and 5500rpm.

For my gimbal bearing and u-joints in my 1991 OMC King Cobra, I use Wal-Marts marine grade grease.

For the splines, I have a tube of the OMC triple guard grease or whatever its called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back