Millers Oils TRX Synth 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumbled across this recently and am very intrigued by it. I'd only heard of this brand in passing but their 75w90 tranny oil looks good.

PERFORMANCE PROFILE:
• API GL4 , GL5
• ZF TE-ML 02
• ZF TE-ML 05

SAE Viscosity Grade ... 75w90
Specific Gravity @ 15°C ... 0.867
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C ... 14.2cSt
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C ... 98.8cSt
Viscosity Index ... 147
Pour Point °C ... -48
Flashpoint °C ... 200
Cold Crank Viscosity ... n/a

The KV @ 100C is impressive at 14.2 (one of the lowest I've ever seen for a GL-4 75w90), but that VI is what has me puzzled. At 147, that's got to be one of the WORST I've ever seen for that kind of fluid.

Is this suggesting the TRX is not using many VIIs in its additive pack? And that it probably has a very good basestock?

Also,don`t get a generic gear oil. Get a manual transmission specific fluid..........Amsoil MTG,Redline MT90,etc.

It's GL-4, which is what my car calls for. It's also GL-5 and safe for brass synchros.

Even if this is used for a rear differential, my original questions still stand.

Dan,
Is this for your Audi? I would assume it would take OEM G070 MTF or one of the other new formulations. I'll see what ETKA has listed for it.

I'm satisfied with what I have in my Audi right now (Motul Gear 300), but this stuff would fit the factory spec of GL-4 75w90.

For whatever reason, the OEM TAF-X is like $60 a QUART at my local dealership.

Last edited:
I`d be careful putting a dual rated GL4/5 fluid in a synch`d tranny. The limited slip GL5 additives may not do well with the synchronizers and make your tranny not shift properly (notchiness or gear clash). If the Motul is working well,I wouldn`t change it. Isn`t Motul supposed to be one of the best lubricants available?

Last edited:
No plans to drop Gear 300 for now unless I find something even better. I may try Lubro-Moly Hochleistungs-Getriebeol next time.

The OEM stuff is actually pretty good (Castrol TAF-X) it's just really really expensive.

dparm - Get a dedicated manual trans lube. One made for great shifting, wear, and the proper viscosity. We change tranny oil so infrequently, it is worth any pain to obtain the best we can.
There are famous brand names available.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/millersoils/TRX-Synth-75w90.pdf

trx-synth-75w90.jpg

Looks great to me. Not sure why everyone is complaining. Never seen it in the USA like many of the other hard to find euro brands.

I've seen GL5 75w85 and GL5 75w80 specifically blended for manual transmissions, & wondering what year will the underinformed anti-GL5 crowd go silent!

Isn't this a UK ONLY brand?

I've seen it MANY times (used, tested, and advertised) in Brit rags (Racecar, Racecar engineering, etc.).

But does anyone bring it into the states??

You can get it here via eBay. Not cheap, but quality fluid never is...

Still, that low VI has me nervous...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back