Toyota recalls 1.1 million Corollas, Matrixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mareakin
Is there usually a time limit with recalls?

That is to ask: "Can I bring the car in 10 years later to get the recall done?"

:)

You don't have to bring your car to a dealer the day after you received the letter from Toyota, you may have few weeks/months to have it fixed under recall, but not years.

Just to further clarify about the Matrix & Vibe, this recall only applies to the 2wd versions; AWD uses a different ECM.

We have a 2006 Corolla. It had the ECU replaced under warranty a couple of years ago. I'm curious if they will end up replacing it again.

I seriously do not understand how Toyota is making any money. The recalls are crazy.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I seriously do not understand how Toyota is making any money. The recalls are crazy.
Every company has recalls... They just seem to have a whole bunch at once.

Plus given their past track-record for reliability and quality before all of this mess has owners hooked on the brand.
wink.gif

So long as this mess comes to a close in this year they will be fine... Tarnished a bit but fine...

Steve

Frankly, both of Toyota's recent supplier-related recalls are from US-based suppliers (Delphi ECUs and CTS pedals). It could just be an unfortunate coincidence. Toyota doesn't seem to have these types of problems with its traditional suppliers (like Denso, etc). I suspect they've had to branch out to folks with whom they haven't historically done business, simply because their traditional suppliers can't produce the volume of components that Toyota now needs to fill its vehicles.

I think Overkill's statement "something has to give" describes best what's happening at Toyota. It really doesn't matter that Toyota employees are "crazy" about quality, the moment you start pushing more products, decreasing development time/budget and testing, something really has to give.

It's just simple economics, even Toyota with all their cash cannot commit equal budget to all aspects of their business, so if they focused on increased production and marketing, then there is less money for development and testing. Having a quality oriented culture will not do much if there are no resources and time to do proper job.

Last edited:
Okay Guys, I've had some discussion with some of you in PMs and have removed the off subject comments (talking about other brands and bashing where something is being made) and am reopening this thread.

PLEASE let's keep it on subject. And if someone goes off topic, PLEASE PM me with the link or hit notify and let us take care of the member. Do NOT respond (it takes time to cut and paste out all the comments once someone goes "there" and others reply)

Any comments, PM me.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I assume the Delphi Corp will be footing the final bill on this since they are the ones that made the faulty part.

Probably a part made in Mex or China. Delphi gets what it deserves for outsourcing American jobs.

Someone brought up the point that Delphi supplies GM with PCMs and other parts and aren't being recalled. A lot of people blame the supplier and even GM for Toyota's problems but would that fly if someone blamed the supplier any time GM has a recall? It could be the supplier's fault or it could be the automakers fault for specing or OKing a low cost/poor design.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Someone mentioned in another thread that the PCMs in question were not made by Delphi.

I saw that also, but haven't read a single article on this recall yet that names the supplier as anyone Delphi. I'm not saying that person's wrong, just that I haven't seen that particular piece of info yet.

So who supplies the ECUs to US made corollas, Delphi or Delco? Denso for the Japanese made cars? Delphi and Denso make ECUs, and Delco makes replacement ECUs? Is that correct?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Every company has recalls... They just seem to have a whole bunch at once.

Plus given their past track-record for reliability and quality before all of this mess has owners hooked on the brand.
wink.gif

So long as this mess comes to a close in this year they will be fine... Tarnished a bit but fine...

Steve

This really isn't a crazy situation at all. It seems that Toyota, and many other makers, are now being somewhat more aggressive in recalling than they might have been in the past (NOT just Toyota), but it's not that big of a deal.

We've owned various Toyotas, mixed with another brand or two, for about ten years. We had probably received at least 8-10 recalls of one flavor or another on Toyotas before all of the recent flap.

A major component of all this contemporary noise is just that people are now focusing major attention on every recall, whereas five years ago, nobody would have paid much if any attention.

I'm not saying that these things don't warrant spirited discussion, but I am suggesting that current "perspective" is perhaps boosting their importance beyond baseline reality.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Someone mentioned in another thread that the PCMs in question were not made by Delphi.

That was me, but now I have to correct myself.

Denso was at one time the supplier of Toyota PCMs, but Yahoo News reports: "Toyota identified the component manufacturer as Delphi in a letter to NHTSA on Thursday".

I can read the label on my Vibe's PCM, but all it says is "TOYOTA", which doesn't tell me anything about who actually made it.

a friend had there computer replaced after their '07 COROLLA stalled out a few times . We have 2 YARIS with oil leaking from the no.1 head cylinder gasket ( '08 auto sedan w/ 23,000+ mis. and 2010 auto 3 door < than 10,000 mis. ) . The '08 goes in soon for the fix . Will see how that goes before getting the 2010 done . The '10 leaks slower than the '08 . Next recall ? Ain't what they use to be .

Last edited:
Saw this on the 9thgencorolla board

Vehicles Covered by the Safety Recall
Model Trim Engine Trans
4-Door Sedan CE 4 Cylinder 1ZZ-FE 4AT / 5MT
Corolla ’05 – ‘08 4-Door Sedan LE 4 Cylinder 1ZZ-FE 4AT / 5MT
4-Door Sedan S 4 Cylinder 1ZZ-FE 4AT / 5MT
Matrix ’05 – ‘08 4-Door Wagon (Base) 4 Cylinder 1ZZ-FE 4AT / 5MT 4-Door Wagon XR 4 Cylinder 1ZZ-FE 4AT / 5MT

Part Number Action Part Number Action
89661-0112# Replace the ECM
89661-02K40 Replace the ECM
89661-0113# Replace the ECM
89661-02K41 Confirm the LOT Number
89661-02C0# Replace the ECM
89661-02K42 No further action required
89661-02C1# Replace the ECM
89661-02K50 Replace the ECM
89661-02C9# Replace the ECM
89661-02K51 Confirm the LOT Number
89661-02D0# Replace the ECM