How good is Havoline DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran the DS version in a Jeep 4.0 and a Chrysler 2.2 and was very pleased. It starts as a thin 30 weight, but doesn't shear too badly over the course of a decent 5k OCI. If I could still get it in 5 quart jugs at Wally's, it would be my first choice in the dino world. But the only local place that carries it has it at synthetic pricing, so I don't use it anymore.

Ever since Havoline changed to Deposit Shield(from Havoline Formula) and the price went up, I think they shot themselves in the foot. Now, I don't see it on the shelves anywhere. It used to be on sale all of the time and a rebate to boot!

I really like Havoline DS and have had no problems using it. I was actually a little upset when I couldn't find the 5 quarts of it that I had kept off to the side when going to do my last oil change

I'm just curious, what mostly has changed from the old Havoline vs the Deposit Sheild? I used to use the old stuff all the time when it was like a DOLLAR A QUART regular price!
33.gif

Back in the "old days" it was basically the same oil as Chevron supreme if I remember right. How does it differ from that today?

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
I'm just curious, what mostly has changed from the old Havoline vs the Deposit Sheild? I used to use the old stuff all the time when it was like a DOLLAR A QUART regular price!
33.gif

Back in the "old days" it was basically the same oil as Chevron supreme if I remember right. How does it differ from that today?

Still great oil just more money and never a rebate. Well, a few things that I do remember, IIRC, is that they lowered the amount of Moly below the typical 300-400 ppm down the below 200 ppm(still good). And they increased the amount of Calicum closer to the 2000 ppm than their typical 1500 ppm or lower. And lastly what I remember is that they lowered the cSt measurement on their 5&10W30 to below 10 cSt as where it was arount 10.6cST.

Now, Im not being very accurate on what I have mentioned here (no hate mail please) but, it just give a small idea of what Havoline did when they changed to DS.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It USED to have lot of moly.

Still has around 150 ppm, more than most.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but here:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html

216ppm.

Someone replied on here saying it "used to have a lot of Moly"...

Well maybe it does again?

I grabbed a bunch when one of the stores was closing it out. It will probably be this winters oil in my Aerostar. I couldn't pass it up.

It does have a good amount of moly, that's for sure - it's just a LOT less that the 350-450ppm it used to have!

As said, it's also a lot thinner - used to be 10.8 cst; now it's 9.7cst, both 5W-30 and 10W-30.

thumbsup2.gif
H-DS is a $1.99 a Quart at O'Reilly. Out? Just bring the Ad to Wal-Mart!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back