Rotella T6 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
his loc: says Indiana. i'm betting he will NOT be riding year around.

i'm not a fan of the 5w40s, but maybe his new bike likes it. the 1200 is new this year. i do NOT like the new styling, but the man/auto transmission just seems ultra cool. seems like the ol' Interceptor is the test bed for great ideas at honda these last 28 years.

Yeah, but I at least wanted to ask. It's probably not going to break anything, but there are TONS of good 10w30s out there already.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
the 1200 is new this year. i do NOT like the new styling, but the man/auto transmission just seems ultra cool. seems like the ol' Interceptor is the test bed for great ideas at honda these last 28 years.

And this has what to do with his question about using 5w-40 oil?

A little thinner on start-up and a little thicker when warm - don't see a problem there either way. It's a great oil that should do well in any Honda. I've tried others but keep coming back to the Rotella (5w40 or 15w40). It's hard to beat the quality of these HEDOs for the price and availability.

Chances are that Honda motor will outlast the rest of the bike on a diet of Rotella - or any good HDEO for that matter.

Hey I'm a VFR rider too. Made a reply somewhere about using universal oils (re: diesel) in this forum. I thought it was the greatest idea ever to cut costs. Unfortunately, my bike shifted like [censored] on T6 and regular rotella. It fell out of grade in probably 2k miles as well (gear driven cams chewed it up possibly).

Regardless, went back to Mobil 4T and 3k miles later shifting smooth still.

Meh, maybe it will work for you. I didn't like it at all.

I did not like Rotella with my 919 nor the VTX. Used it only once in each bike.
Not much of an option to save money on oil.
If it is a new bike break it in with dino (I am using Delvac 1300 super) or whatever MC oil of choice then use M1 4T.
I have used M1 HM that also worked but not as well as 4T.
GS 0-30 is another choice.

I got a great deal on 3 gallons of T6 for about $8 each. Was going to possibly run it in my Kawi, but I kind of think it would be better to run in my car. I plan to keep running Delvac & Delo in my bike, maybe even Rotella T 15-40.

Lots of guys use the 5w40 in motorcycles, but from the various analysis that has been posted it appears to me the 5w40 shears very quickly. In 3000 miles it will be below 5w30 specs. I just use 10w30 as Honda recommends.

The T-6 5-40 "might" be a horse of another color. Its new and UOAs are few so far. Shell's site mentions it has less VII because of a new base stock that thickens less in the cold making the "spread" between 5 and 40 actually less or some such hocus-pocus. Any way, with less VII it should be more sable. I have it in my Honda GL1800 and closing in on 5,000 miles its still shifting very slick adn the oil does not "look thin". When I put it in, I noticed that at room temperature (72F) it sure looked way more viscous than other 5W oils I have used, more like a straight 30 by guestimation. I have also encountered GL1800 owners who tried T-6 and reported poorer shifting, so we have this Ying/Yang thing going on.

prs

thanx for all the opinions. it did seem to clunk more with the t6 when i shifted so i went back to the honda 10w30. see what happens on the trip to the smokies

Last edited:
Hi.

I have a 2007 Interceptor. I can tell you this with accuracy about the use of 10W-30. Between 2006 and 2007, Honda changed the oil "recommendation" from 10W-40 to 10W-30 in the VFR800. They made absolutely NO changes to the engine....just changed the viscosity recommendation. I got curious about this and talked to a friend who works in the motorcycle division of Honda. He confirmed NO changes to the engine. i.e. ALL that changed was the print in the manual! The real reason they made the change was for better emissions....NOT because of any engine issue.

The 2007 Owner's Manual shows that 10W-40, 20W-40 and 20W-50 were all APPROVED for use in the VFR800. Note that MANY bike manufacturers recommend 10W-30 for use ONLY BELOW 80 deg. F. ! The VFR1200 is a totally new breed of cat, so am sure they did all new product testing with the recommended
10W-30 so it is extremely unlikely it would be inadequate in that bike. THAT SAID, however, I sure would have some oil analysis done on that oil a time or two early on to see if it was shearing badly. I also would use synthetic in that application.....lastly, I probably would end up using 10W-40
synthetic in an engine that puts out that kind of HP! I would bet a LOT of money that 10W-40 is fine and/or better than a 10W-30 in that bike.......Just my two cents......

FYI: I have two Honda cars that spec. the 5W-20 and I have run mostly, 10W-30 in them. All that I can see is happening to those cars is that the engines are going last FOREVER based on oil analysis and that is confirmed with the way they are retaining performance at high mileages. I HIGHLY doubt that engine is going to explode in a ball of black oil mist, with parts, valves and little gear wheels flying every where if you ran 10W-40 bike oil in it. Logic: I can promise you, that 10W-30 on a 26 deg. F. morning in Minneapolis, MN (you had to ride your bike to work on this cold morning because your truck broke down and your wife has the car!!) is going to be a LOT more viscous in the bike than if you started it with 10W-40 in it, under the same situation in Phoenix, AZ in June when it is 96 F !! Both oils will work FINE in either situation ....again.....this is my OPINION.....

Best Regards.......

I would use 10-30 if they make one for MC. That would be an oil that has been tested in MC. If available and tested I see no reason for 10W-40. Oil are getting better in protection while getting less viscous. But not all 10W-30 are created equal.

Originally Posted By: RC46_Rider

The real reason they made the change was for better emissions....NOT because of any engine issue.

How does running a 10W-30 instead of a 10W-40 affect emissions?
The decrease in friction is minimal between the 2 grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back