10/40 or 15/50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

My triumph manual recommends either 15/50 or 10/40. But it doesn't say which to use under certain conditions. I would LIKE to use 10/40 because mobil 1 makes that 4T racing oil that is one of 2 choices i have locally and easy to find. the other being thier Vtwin which is i think 20/50 which is close enough. I live in so cal, so it's a warm climate. Any reason i should think twice about using 10/40 ?

I've been using 15/50 in my Speed Triple since '01. The Silver Cap 15/50 at Auto Zone is the same formula as 4T. A lot of people use the 10/40 with no problems.

Last edited:
No chart. But seems 10/40 is the way to go. I do ride when it's hot, but then again one of you said lighter oil runs cooler so.....?

If it's an air cooled engine, I would tend to use the heavier synthetics. Mobil 1 15-50, for example, performs very well during cold starts. Far superior to a conventional oil of similar viscosity. So, the cold start "thing" on a synthetic is a non issue.

However, the performance of 15-50 M1 is excellent in many hot running air cooled engines and turbo cars.

it's water cooled. the reason i wanted to go to 10-40 is performance. Thinner oil=slightly better response. But i think i won't notice much between V-twin 20-50 and 10-40 so i'll probably just stick with that for peace of mind.

Went from 10/40 to 20/50 in my track bike and I like the 20/50 better.

Seems like I get less notchy shifts mid day when the bike is blazing hot.

I knew this was about a Triumph motorcycle, when the title just said 10w40 or 15w50. LOL.

I have owned (2) Triumph bikes. A 1050cc and 2300cc triple. Figuring out seasonal oil was a bit of a challenge at first.

I think I have a handle on this area now.

The smaller motor could easily run on 10w40 year around. The 2300cc runs 10w40 for cool weather and 20w50 V-Twin in the summer with no problems.

That is what the manual says anyway. But the 2300cc runs and shifts fine with the Mobil 20w50 V-twin. It is easy to find.

I have also used Mobil 15w50 car oil with no problems.

Last edited:
Hi,

I had a 2001 Triumph Sprint 955 triple that I rode for about
22K miles before I traded it. I ran Mobil 1 10W-40 most of the time. I, like you, was curious/concerned about oil weight, but noted IN THE OWNER's MANUAL that one section recommended they 15W-50 but 10W-40 was approved in another.... so I wrote Triumph Engineering in England and got a factory direct response that both oils were "just fine"....so I used mostly 10W-40 M-1. Throttle response is a tiny bit better with this than the "X"W-50 wt. oils.
When the dealer checked the valves for clearance at the specified mileage, there was almost Zero wear...one valve was "marginally close" to needing a new shim, but was still "acceptable". So, no question, the 10W-40 Mobil 1 was fine.
I also had buddies that ran it in RC-51's and Gixxer 1000's with good luck. BOTTOMLINE: It will work fine in your bike.
I would say that I do NOT go extended distances on oil...about
2.5K per change. Some people probably think this is nuts, but with a shared transmission, ALL the Blackstone analysis I got back convinced me this was not overkill, although if cost is truly a huge issue, you probably could go farther safely. Based on what I saw in the oil analysis', if you want to maximize time or mileage on an oil change, I WOULD use 15W-50 or 20W-50.

Good riding.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back