Zerex G-05 at Walmart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Picked up two 4L jugs tonight from Walmart, since every once in a while they have stock. I hate the store and rarely go in it, but it's the only place I know of around here that periodically stocks it.

Plan on a cooling system flush on the Expedition tomorrow. Fun times!

did you get some distilled water while there ? I use walmart as well when purchasing coolant, oil etc and distilled water I even use distilled water for flushing after having a horrible experience with tap water..

I did cheat the last time purchasing Honda coolant for my accord, I look back still wondering if it's worth the huge extra expense !! Next time I think I will just use a close coolant match from walmart. BUT mind you the blue color is cool, and gives my car 13 more hp alone not counting the overflow tank !!

I'm curious how much it costed at Walmart there. It probably was cheaper than the Ford dealer. G-05 concentrate is about $10.50 at NAPA here. What drain and flush procedure are you going to use?

Yup, both of those figures are about right. G-05 concentrate was $16 and I believe it was definitely at least $35 from Ford for the same quantity.

Man you guys up there get robbed. I can get G-05 and about any coolant concentrate (besides Asian proprietary rip off) for under $12/gal. Well when you get a Ford dexcool FF, you should be able to get it everywhere cheaper.

Yes, the Dexcool is about the same price as the G-05. So, we won't be able to get Dexcool quite as cheap as you guys do, but it will be better than going to Ford to pay $35 for a jug of G-05 for those times that Walmart has no concentrate (i.e. 99% of the time).

I can get Texaco Long Time or DELO for a good price through a friend. I assume they are both "Dexclones". I've actually got the latter in the Expedition right now, but have been worrying about gasket compatibility, hence the switch back to G-05.

Yes it's my understanding that Havoline and Delo are Dexcool formulas. IIRC Delo adds nitrite for diesel liner protection. It's probably best that you went back with G-05 because if any of the gaskets were not fully OAT resistant I could see their life being shortened somewhat. edit: actually Delo does not have nitrites.

Delo I guess Dexcool 2EHA formula has more cavitation protection than it's often given credit for if it can be approved for diesels without nitrtites or any other common IATs.

The DELO is really cool looking: it is red. The Texaco Long-Life (specifically branded as such, white bottle) is more an orangy-red, but still not the traditional "Dexcool" orange.

I've got the DELO in the Focus right now actually, since that's what I had kicking around.

Hmm There is delo nitrite free and then there is/was Texaco/Havoline/Chevron and Shell that have nitrite and molybdate. It's pretty confusing but i think the red Delo has the nitrite and molybdate and the yellow Delo is nitrite free. It is all 2EHA dexclones and good corrosion protection but you have to consider if the gaskets are resistant speced. I do think all those Texaco/Chevron brands are better than the universal dexclone, and seem to be more resistant to gumming if no pressurized reservior, but you have to keep them topped up without one.

Last edited:
Car has a pressurized reservoir, so no problems there! Only concern is gaskets.... But the car was $500.00, LOL!

The Expedition was a lot more. And would be a LOT harder to do a major gasket on, hence my concern and the switch back to G-05.

Interesting note: Jon's truck has a VT365 in it (Ford 6.0L Powerstroke). In "Ford-trim" this engine has G-05 in it. In International trim, you can probably guess what is used
wink.gif

Wonder what they used for gaskets?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Can you get original Green? What does it typically run there?

Yes, but not easily. The only place I absolutely know I can find it without question is Partsource. They stock the Havoline/Texaco conventional. It's a buck or two cheaper per gallon than Dexcool and G-05. Canadian Tire might have some conventional in their house brand line, but their labels don't say a lot except for the specifications met, and without a cheat sheet, it's a mess to figure out. I wish Zerex Original Green was readily available up here.

Most parts stores just have various dexclones. NAPA Canada's parts list has about 20 different varieties and sizes of dexclones and diesel coolant.

Last time I was at Partsource, they only had one gallon of the Texaco, which is not nearly enough for a flush and fill of my F-150. Canadian Tire used to have the best selection of coolants, but it's a mess now. Walmart, at least on paper, could have the best selection, since they stock almost every major brand. Lately, though, I've only seen various dexclones and licenced DexCool (premixed and concentrate) and G-05 premix.

Just a few years ago, Esso used to have conventional green. What they have now is at http://imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_coolant_antifreeze.pdf if you care to look. The non-HD coolant looks to be something like G-05, but I'd appreciate your view on that.

Shell recently had conventional available, but it seems to have been discontinued in Canada. That was never much of an option, anyhow, since Shell closed many of the bulk suppliers in western Canada, probably due to the overwhelming presence of co-ops and Esso Mobil in this neck of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back