Bearing lubricating oil, an equivalent to Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
My company has a large mining machine manufactured in China. I'm responsible for the first shipment to Africa. One of the "mechanisms" is lubricated with, what the Chinese are telling me, #40 lubricating oil. They think that it's some type of ISO 68 lube oil. I suggested an ISO 68 gear oil (Shell Omala 68) as I use this elsewhere on the machine. The Chinese say that I don't need to use such an "expensive" oil, but they can't tell me what type to use. They say that any cheap oil will do. The only objects being lubricated inside the mechanism box are splash-lubricated roller bearings. Maximum shaft speed inside the mechanism is 400 RPM. There are no gears and no sliding surfaces, just bearings. What's the cheapest type of oil that I should consider, or can I just use the Omala 68 and be done with the issue?

This is a no-brainer. Remember the saying "penny wise, pound foolish"? This is a perfect example. Use the Omala 68 and be done with it. You have a large piece of equipment manufactured on one continent shipped to another. If the machine breaks down, whose job is it to fix or replace it as well as pay for the down time?

BTW, my dealings with Chinese manufacturing has shown that lacking outside supervision, they will cut corners in manufacturing specs whenever possible. Good luck with your project!

I thought Shell Omala is more for lubricating gears. Shell Morlina is more for bearings lubrication.

I would do some more digging as to what the manufacture says. Could #40 lubricating oil be 40w engine oil
21.gif
which would be a different iso.

The Chinese stuff is amazing reading. I see all kinds of stuff recommended. Today I was asked for #20 oil for a huge drill press (25 ft tall). It smelled like hydraulic and at 400 hours it was heating up. I recommended a group II Borate ISO 68. That will more than protect it and last years.

Their recommendations for oil for heavy equipment is terrible, and the people who translate no nothing about oil.

Of course they aren't the only ones. Last week I found a piece of equipment with a note written on the side in marker "No oil - use SAE 120". Fortunately the equipment had a brand name, I wrote to the Italian manufacturer and they said to use an ISO 150 EP oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back