Rotella T 15-40 in 87' Benz 300D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of switching to Rotella T 15-40 in my 87' Mercedes 300D Diesel. All season.

I think you'll have atleast a few days every winter where 15W40 will want to stay in the oil pan inspite of your oil pumps best efforts.
I'd spring for the Rotella T6 5W40 in the winter if you are planning to keep the car for a while. I have seen old jugs of Rotella T 0W30 conventional oil the odd time up here too, but its not listed on their site anymore.

My '82 300D will not start on 15W40 below 25F-I would go with that new synthetic blend Rotella T5 in 10W30 in winter, unless you plug in the block heater in cold weather.

I always use the heater in below 32 temps, so I should be fine in the winter right?

Probably.
I had difficulty starting my old 240Ds in below freezing weather with a 15W-X oil if they spent the night outside.
The lower limit for a start with any oil with the cars left outdoors overnight without any heating was around 10 F or so.
With the cold weather kit, you'd probably be okay in PA with a 15W-40.

These cars will start no problem with a good glow system and good compression, even with 15w-40 beloiw freezing. That said, the MB temp/viscosity chart only allows a 15w- oil down to about 0 or 3F, as I recall.

Personally, I like 5w-40 oils in my diesel MBs and have had good luck with that.

Actually, IMHO, the BEST solution for cold weather starting is to have the block heater plugged in, AND a magnetic oil pan heater, on a 4 hour timer-the block heater will help w/combustion & quick heater operation, and the oil pan heater keeps that all-important crank speed up. A strong battery & good starter are big helps too, along with correct valve adjustments (got those) & good compression (ain't got that!!).

Also-if your Mercedes is anything like mine, the use of synthetic oil will cause increased leaking & consumption-that's the main reason I stick with dino 10W30 in mine in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back