Delo 400LE for motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These 15W40 HDEO oils are real tough oils. After much research on this site and others I switched both of my BMWs (R1200RT and R1200GS) to Delvac. Two seasons now with running out to Oregon a few weeks ago and little consumption and engine temps stayed moderate through out a hot 4,700 mile run. Going to run up around Lake Superior in late October and hit temps down to 25 degrees at start up near Duluth last fall. Easy starting and runs well at high temps. I know the Beemers don't share a transmission in the sump, but air/oil cooled nontheless.

The newer delo doesnt have a crude oil smell, its got some sythethic componetry in it IMO, smells just like exxon superflow. Notice how they were able to drop the calcium levels too. I hate running big calcium numbers, no sludge its going to wear on your parts.

The stuff has strong clutch grip, if thats an issue.

Last edited:
Why not just use a MC oil such as M-1? Then you have no worries about clutches, Etc. I usually change my oil and filters on my bikes once a year. That's around 5,000 miles. Works for me. The expense of M1 is no big deal when you only change once a year. Plus I don't have to worry if the oil will work in my Harleys.

I also have a Honda ST1300. I use M-1 MC oil in that bike as well.

Last edited:
I noticed that Checkers has a great sale on Delo. Was tempted....

But I remembered....I sent an email to the Delo folks and they replied back....something like this.....

"Our newer Delo has much more moly and we do not recommend for clutch applications in heavy equipment and we do not recommend for any motorcycle application."

I personally don't think it is a big deal and if it was all I could get....I would use it.

But, Why????? Rotella and Delvac are available anywhere and they are all about the same price. Right now I am working my way through 8 gallons of Delvac that I purchased for half price a year ago.....$5.50 a gallon. I am even going to pour it into my Beemer tomorrow!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I noticed that Checkers has a great sale on Delo. Was tempted....

But I remembered....I sent an email to the Delo folks and they replied back....something like this.....

"Our newer Delo has much more moly and we do not recommend for clutch applications in heavy equipment and we do not recommend for any motorcycle application."

I personally don't think it is a big deal and if it was all I could get....I would use it.

I don't see any reason to not use it in a dry clutch motorcycle.

Chevrons caution about clutch applications in heavy equipment and the fact that it is an HDEO that doesn't carry an Allison C4 rating tells me that it shouldn't be used in a wet clutch MC, or in any wet clutch.

The only oils I would be concerned with for high levels of moly is Redline oils. I 've used Delo, rotella, and delvac with no clutch issues. I think there's more worry then actual known, or proven case of clutch slippage.,,

The old delo had a bout 220ppm of moly, many mc oils like redline and Motul, have closer to 500 ppm.

But the New Delo is below 100 ppm on moly, similar to majority of oils, like mobil1

The big thing I like in the delo, is the lack of excess levels of calcium, if no sludge to scrub, they wear on your parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back