Thoughts on Delo 400 le

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what do you think about 400 vs 400LE?

I'm shopping for oil for my '97 vehicle, because Mobile 1 is using Group III oils in their synthetics, and because the new SM rating has less zinc and phosphorous....

I can't find 400 at the local parts store.... Does Walmart have em?

I have "heard" that the non LE is better than the LE formula, but I cannot confirm this, nor can I find it to buy it either.

Walmart carries it, but it is the LE formula.

400 is not better the 400 LE, there were formulated to meet different specs (CI-4 Plus vs CJ-4). The add packs are very different, but 400 LE is remains a very good oil and among (if not THE) the best dino CJ-4s available.

Zinc, phos, moly, and calcium concentrations were lowered versus the old Delo 400, but in 400 LE moly and calcium were complimented with boron and magnesium. LE is not watered down or cheapened oil.

I can't believe you found Delo 10W-30 at a Partssource store.

We've got a couple in my area, and the onl;y chevron products they carry are Havoline dino, which I've bought from them.

I did find a local distirbutor for Chevron products in my area, but again, it's by the case - don't have use for a case of oil.

I'd be all over that if I were you - you won't find a better oil, IMO for a 4.0 I-6 than a 10W-30 HDEO.

Btw, I was at Walmart, and they have 400LE for $8.50.

I called before going, but it was a waste of time. I asked if the guy had Delo, and the guy came back after a few minutes saying that they had Tello, with two L's. Geez

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Delo 400 LE 10W-30 oil offers better fuel economy
Oct 21, 2009 11:57 AM
After laboratory and field testing in heavy-duty engines, Chevron’s Delo 400 LE SAE 10W-30 oil has demonstrated an ability to provide fuel economy improvements over the more commonly used 15W-40 grade diesel oil.

Delo 400 LE 10W-30 showed a 1% fuel economy improvement over 15W-40 oils and a 0.5% fuel economy improvement over 5W-40 grade synthetic lubricants. For fleets, the savings associated with these fuel economy improvements can be substantial.

Use of the lower-viscosity Delo 400 LE 10W-30 does not come at the expense of engine durability. In fact, Chevron also conducted laboratory and field durability tests with Delo 400 LE 10W-30 that proved the product provides wear levels and oil drains that fleets have come to expect from the leading 15W-40 motor oils. Durability tests were conducted on a number of diesel platforms, including Detroit Diesel DD15, Cummins ISX, Mack MP7, and DAF 12.9 Liter.

Chevron also tested its Delo 400 LE 10W-30 on 2010 engines from Volvo and experienced similar durability and fuel economy results.

This combination of fuel economy and engine durability is a result of Chevron’s proprietary ISOSYN technology. This technology combines highly refined base oils with additives to create products that rival synthetic lubricants in critical performance tests while maintaining costs similar to mineral-based oils. Delo 400 LE SAE 10W-30 is available in gallon jugs, five-gallon pails, 55-gallon drums, and in bulk.

http://www.chevrondelo.com/deloperformance/docs/Delo_400LE_Sellsheet6.pdf
Sounds like the same gobbly gook that shell T5 puts out. I really like this...... Chevron’s proprietary ISOSYN technology...... Chevron puts out a great product but then so do their competitors

Lets see my wifes powerstroke has been getting 17 MPGs how she drives . So 17MPGs +1% improvement = 17.170 MPG? did I figure correctly? Engineers please correct me.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Lets see my wifes powerstroke has been getting 17 MPGs how she drives . So 17MPGs +1% improvement = 17.170 MPG? did I figure correctly? Engineers please correct me.

If UPS spends $10,000,000 on gas a year (that's just my off the top figure), and the drivers are trained to make only right turns for shorter radius and to save idling time & gas, then a 1% savings to them would equal 100,000 big ones.

For us, though, it's worth $20-30 bucks a year.

I am still baffeled that years ago straight 30 was the visc of mfg choice for the 4 cycle diesels then it went to 15w-40 now 10w-30 is being pushed!!! what a world. Better 10w-30 oil ?

Also, don't forget the time you save filling up on gas. If the pump time from nozzle-in to nozzle-out is 3 minutes, since you're putting in 1% less gas, you've just saved 1.8 seconds. That's enough time to scratch your balls one additional time in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back