Autozone brand oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Anyone know who makes the oil for Autozone? Their synthetic is $3.50. +/- a few cents. Anyone try it yet? Just caught a glimpse of it while at autozone so I figured I'd ask.

AZ's conventional oil is supplied by Warren-Coastal*. I suspect their synthetic is, too.

*NO relation to Warren Performance Products out of Omaha, NE.

quote:

AZ's conventional oil is supplied by Warren-Coastal*. I suspect their synthetic is, too.

*NO relation to Warren Performance Products out of Omaha, NE.

Funny you mention that. Heh. I was one time trying to look up Coastal oil products that they sell at Autozone and I latered noticed that I was looking at another site. Not sure if it's the same one you mentioned. They both had to do with oil though.

I like Coastal. Their conventional oil seems to be very good stuff. I might give it a try since it's cheaper than all the other big name brand stuff.

i never knew they made autozone synthetic, what ever it is it must be better than any other dino and blend, guess ill give it a try

Valvoline told me that the blend is not just dino with some synthetic in it, but that it actually has some other additives in it that make it preform better than regular. Maybe a better home blend would be a semy synthetic with some pure synthetic.

There is too many other synthetic oils out there for maybe a buck more than that. I wouldn't run coastal in my cars. If Autozone is convenient for you and I was trying to save money I would go with the Exxon Superflo conventional at about 2 bucks a quart. Good oil at a good price.

What's everyone's problem with Coastal I wonder? I can also run Supertech and a number of other oils. I'd just like to know what's wrong with Coastal?

The gear oil is blah but I never tried the motor oil. So maybe their motor oil is great but for sure the gear oil is not.

Why is their gear oil bad? What evidence or experience do you have that justifies this?

I use the GL3,GL4,& GL5 rated Coastal 80W90 gear oil in my Jeeps's swapped in Muncie SM420. It shifts smooth and works well. Plus, with the GL4 rating, it's not eating my synchro's (It doesn't smell like sulphur). Previously, I was using WM 80W90 GL5 (sulphur based) which made the tranny shift with more difficulty.

I stumbled onto the Coastal gear oil because it was all I could get at the time. Turns out, it has worked the best.

Ya a Tacoma...horribly notchy and if you were lucky you could get it into gear shifting. Worked great on the factory fill and now even better on Redline.

A few months back Autozone had a clearance sale on the Costal synthetic for $1.00. I only got 6 quarts of SM. Most was SL and I got about45 quarts of that, but what the ****. You can't have everything.

Thats rediculous- your one lucky guy. you'd have to be quite stupid not to buy a synthetic at 1 or 2 dollars- especially one rated at SM! I wish i could find half the deals the people on this site find

quote:

Originally posted by Sid:
What's everyone's problem with Coastal I wonder? I can also run Supertech and a number of other oils. I'd just like to know what's wrong with Coastal?

Nothing wrong with Coastal. They had a mislabeled batch a few years ago on weight that everybody harps about. Coastal many times just meets API spec and does fine for shorter OCI's for under 5K miles. Pretty much if it meets the API "SM" spec, you are doing fine.

Hootbro

Ditto Hootbro..
I picked up 55 quarts of Coastal at 1.00 per for use in an Ecotec. No problems, and an oil change works out to be 8.30 with a Napa Gold cartridge. At 4k the oil is dark, but I notice no difference in smoothness, driving, or consumption vs. Mobil 5k at 2.29 a quart at WM.
Sid, check out Home Depot.. Platinum Plus on clearance for 2.60 each, and the 15.00 Mastercard gift card offer is still good until July 31, making PP .10 a quart.....

quote:

Originally posted by beanoil:
Ditto Hootbro..
I picked up 55 quarts of Coastal at 1.00 per for use in an Ecotec. No problems, and an oil change works out to be 8.30 with a Napa Gold cartridge. At 4k the oil is dark, but I notice no difference in smoothness, driving, or consumption vs. Mobil 5k at 2.29 a quart at WM.
Sid, check out Home Depot.. Platinum Plus on clearance for 2.60 each, and the 15.00 Mastercard gift card offer is still good until July 31, making PP .10 a quart.....

I have used Coastal branded lubricants for years with no ill effect. That includes both motor oils and gear lubes. Alot of people thumb their nose at Coastal because they also do lower priced value blends of SF and SA rated oils and many idiots buy it not knowing what their vehicle calls out for API rating. When their particular vehicle blows up, they are all over the net slamming Coastal for using SA rated oil in their late model Honda Civic. Their SL and now SM rated oil has served me fine. Some people just need a oil that is 300% over engineered for their appliation ans feel all fuzzy with paying 300% also.

Hootbro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back