Oil weight recommended for Chevy 292 inline 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried to find out what weight oil is recommended but no luck... Heres what I know sofar. its a 3rd gen inline 6, Mileage unknown because this was swapped into the 1981 GMC truck I bought.I live in canada so I have to factor in the climate as well.. Anyone know what GM recommended for these motors ? Thanks guys..

BC covers a lot of ground. Prince George and Vancouver are kinda different.

That engine should use the same oil as it's shorter stroke more common cousin, the 250 cubic inch straight six. That might be easier to find a number for.

Engines of the era sometimes called for 20 weight, if it has some wear 30 weight should do no harm.

In Vancouver 10W-30 should do the job. Prince George in the winter, 0W-20 and and a block heater. Ft Nelson, build a fire under the engine.

I had several of its cousins the 250 I6, in fact we are still using a Vinatge 250 I6 to power my brothers boat. A 30 grade oil will work fine, I'd use either a 5W30, or a 0W30. Like some of the older Fords that weren't back spec'd for a 20 grade oil, I have a feeling that older designed engine would be better served with a 30 grade oil. The pump design might not be good for a xx-20, unless it is the dead of the winter.

I see U have "Valvoline Maxlife works for me" in your sig. That's what I run (5W-30) in the winter in my 1990 Ford 4.9 I6. It runs great. I still have that oil in the engine now and have run it all summer, no problems. It rev's quicker with the thinner oil and starts quickly when it's cold.

Thanks for the info guys.. Great help.. Im in Kamloops XS650.Yes the weather up in Prince George is more harsh than Kamloops. Vancouver well, they really dont have much of winter, just a rainy season..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back