PT Cruiser engine VIN code (buying spark plugs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy new spark plugs for a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring. I was under the impression that there were only two engine options for this car (turbo & non-turbo) but looking online, there appear to be five different engine VIN codes listed at various vendor's websites.

I can't figure out which digit of the VIN refers to this code and various websites give out contradicting information regarding this.

I'm not even sure if it matters since the same part #'s seem come up regardless of which engine VIN code I select.

Anyone have any advice?

Best to go to your dealership and ask them what the plug specifications are for your vehicle

Chrysler has done some stupid things in the past when it comes to spark-plugs and then issued TSB's later which some after-market parts suppliers don't always get.

Eg: Hotter running plug called for initially and then was downgraded 1 heat rating because of pinging etc.

Find out what the "Current" specs are for your vehicle and then go buy that particular plug aftermarket for the best fit for your vehicle.

I have also heard of different areas of your country calling for different plugs on Chrysler vehicles because of fuel and altitude differences like in Colorado for example. Or California emissions calling for different plugs because of different fuel/catalytic setup.

My father is a mechanic of 35 years and has worked for Chrysler for 20 years before retiring so I speak from his experiences.

Steve

Do you have the Turbo?

REmCC14(have to get # and check) gap at .040 and get new wires, ie magnecore or MP Blue.

Run ths stock plugs and be happy, most issues on these are from people overthinking and putting stupid plugs in them.

most issues are [censored] plugs gapped at .050 and old [censored] wires.
Also yank the Throttle body and clean it. Car will run like a champ.

Also use copper plugs none of the platinum non-sense and Champions work well.

Own two GT's and 5 other Turbo Dodges.

JOin PTcrew.com and PTcruiserlinks.com

Last edited:
You can get copper plugs that are platinum tipped, or not. Whatever. they are separate subjects.
Platinum tips are great.
The copper is internal for heat dissipation. I personally don't care how a heat range is achieved.

Maybe it's best to simply yank an existing plug and see what the factory has in there.

Thanks for all the information.

It's the non-turbo engine. The manual calls for replacing them at 30,000 miles and the idle is a little rough but no real problems or codes. I was planning on replacing the wires while I was at it.

I was also thinking of upgrading from the OEM coppers with something that would last longer than 30,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Best to go to your dealership and ask them what the plug specifications are for your vehicle

Chrysler has done some stupid things in the past when it comes to spark-plugs and then issued TSB's later which some after-market parts suppliers don't always get.

Following up on Stevie's advice, isn't there a sticker under the hood with the spark plug recommendation?

Also, regarding plug TSB's: My Caravan with 2.4L engine originally came with Champion RE14MCC5. TSB 08-008-04 was issued in 2004 for a change to plug RE16MC...."is more resistant to possible cold engine carbon fouling". This TSB also includes the PT.

The TSB also says " To eliminate concerns of a possible high secondary ignition voltage flashover caused by a thermal set of the ignition cable spark plug boots to the old style plug, install new ignition cables when replacinng the old style plugs with the new style....."

IMO, these engines were designed with a copper plug and that's what I use. What do others think about using a long life plug in this application?

The TSB also lists LZTR4A-11 as a new plug...is the NGK?

Last edited:
There are probably fleet only specials that run on propane or something that you never hear about but still come up at the parts counter.

I often get asked what engine in my saturn for stuff like brakes, where it doesn't matter either.

Thanks for all of the help. Picked up a set of Champion Double Platinums and NAPA Belden Premium wires. I'll hopefully get around to installing them later this week. I'm a little nervous as the install on a PT Cruiser seems more involved than I'm used to -- I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world.

I did the plugs and wires on my parents 02 PT. I saved them $150.00 doing it myself. It's not that hard, but time consuming. This link has pics to help you.

PT spark plugs

My rule with spark plugs...

If you were happy with the old plugs, then replace them with new ones of the same plug.

That it is! The dealer usually charges $200.00 for a spark plug change on the PT. I just followed the specs from that PT forum. I just bungeed the manifold to the hood. I read the Champion oem plugs are garbage, so I went with some NGK's.

I looked at the link photos- that's terrible!
crazy2.gif
37.gif
I had always assumed they'd be similar to the Neons- boy was that wrong. On my old 97 DOHC plugs were super simple & easy. Open hood. Remove air intake snorkel(1 wing nut). Then wires & plugs are all right there!

That's really bad.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
crazy2.gif
37.gif
I had always assumed they'd be similar to the Neons- boy was that wrong. On my old 97 DOHC plugs were super simple & easy. Open hood. Remove air intake snorkel(1 wing nut). Then wires & plugs are all right there!

That's really bad.
shocked2.gif

The timing belt is even worse. Book time is like 9 hrs and it really takes that long for a pro. Chrysler recomends 90k for the timing belt and they mean it! The timing belt will break between 90 and 100k if not changed. The valves wont hit the pistons though............ The valves will hit each other instead which bends them.

Atleast the constantly failing radiator fans are easy to change.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
crazy2.gif
37.gif

That's really bad.
shocked2.gif

What is bad about them, I can do them in 15 minutes??? You dont even have to yank the manifold which might add 20 minutes, just use a swivel on #2 plug.

THe turbos are even easier.

I installed a set of NGK iridium plugs on my 2003 PT Cruiser (non-turbo) when it had about 35,000 miles. I did notice a slight mileage gain after they were installed (the car would get an honest 30 mpg on the highway if driven <70 mph). They were still in there when I sold the car with 101,000 miles in June...still started and ran great.

Installed the Champion double platinums and wires from NAPA over the weekend. I followed instructions off the internet and the whole thing took about a half hour. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

So far, gas mileage appears to be the same but the idle is drastically improved vs. the factory plugs and wires.

Yank the throttle boddy and remove the TPS and AIS and clean it, then put the sensors back in. It will idle much better.

Originally Posted By: kb01
Installed the Champion double platinums and wires from NAPA over the weekend. I followed instructions off the internet and the whole thing took about a half hour. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

So far, gas mileage appears to be the same but the idle is drastically improved vs. the factory plugs and wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back