ew Gas mileage question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several of you read my post about my new bike......

IMG_3108.jpg

I just completed the first leg of a big trip and am very disappointed in the gas mileage. The original owner said that when riding alone, he never got less than 53 mpg. Those of you that are familiar with the LT, know that this bike commonly gets that kind of mileage, or even better.

Here was the performance for the first 750 miles.....

First tank.....49 mpg
Second tank...44 mpg
Third tank...45 mpg

The riding conditions were good without a headwind. I wasn't packed too heavy. I rode at 75 mph (interstate). The only thing I cahnged from the original owner.....I used 90-91 octane.....where he always used mid-grade.

Any thoughts?

Try some mid grade?
21.gif

Ethanol in your fuel where he did not use ethanol laced fuel? That would be the 10% hit right there.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Ethanol in your fuel where he did not use ethanol laced fuel? That would be the 10% hit right there.

+1

Try speeding. My mileage increased at least 15% after I got pulled over last year.
lol.gif

Maybe you use the brakes more than the original owner? High speeds result in high aerodynamic losses, maybe you drive faster than she/he did? If the bike doesn't need mid-grade or premium, use regular. If one grade of gas over the other is likely to have lower ethanol content, it would be regular, but that's not always the case. Every pound of weight reduces mileage. How much are you carrying in total (including rider) versus the previous owner? Are the tires inflated the same way? Maybe you're riding up and down hills more often, or cruising at steady speed less often? Maybe the temperature is colder where you're riding? Maybe there's a sensor issue? (O2, MAP/MAF, etc.)

He probably had just more mileage friendly habits than you.
Upshifting sooner and a 5mph less cruising speed would get you up to his mileage. Also longer highway rides get better mileage than shorter highway rides. 10% more cold starts would probably drop your mileage 10% as well.
My mileage can vary from 40 mpg a tank to 28 mpg a tank in my car depending on what I'm doing and where I'm driving so 10% off isn't a big difference.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
He probably had just more mileage friendly habits than you.

Possibly. But you also need to consider the possibility that the previous owner just wanted to sell the bike and embellished the mileage numbers.

Everyone inflates their numbers. I know guys with 1T trucks pulling 8000 lb trailers that get 25mpg, sure they do. I don't think your numbers look out of the ordinary. On my Goldwing I can get 50 once in a while if I stay at 65mph, go 75-80 and it gets 35-40. Probably similar on your BMW.

Use a high quality and the octane that is recommended by manufacturer.
Let your bike break-in a few k miles. Use high quality oil with correct visc.
Factors in MPG are enourmouse. There is also bike/riders variations in the equation.
Your average speed is a big player in MPG. Nice bike BTW.

2 things. He didn't get 53, and you are clearly getting used to your new bike, and having fun with it. Check your manual, but I believe BMW wants 100 RON in there. I don't know of any midgrade that can hit that, so I lean toward another crooked story from the PO. I'd stick with Premium, and go ride. With a little luck, the fun factor will get you 40 MPG next tank....
wink.gif

Last edited:
I think I can get 53mpg+....just had to learn to ride the bike and.....slow down. At 60mph.....it is sipping gas.

Here was the mileage from the trip for every fill up.....

49mpg 90-91 octane, Colorado gas
44mpg 90-91 octane, New Mexico gas
45mpg 90-91 octane, Texas gas
43mpg 90-91 octane, Texas gas
46mpg 87 octane, Texas gas
49mpg 87 octane, New Mexico gas

Honestly, I think I need to use 87-89 octane and ride at 60mph. When I did that for a 50 mile stint.....the computer was reporting 56 mpg.

I also think the 10% ethanol gas dinged me as well.....found that stuff in Texas.

The manual calls for "mid-grade", 89 octane.

And yes....I rode the bike hard.....75-80mph..... I am certain, if I rode it at 60-65....I would get 50mpg+.

Last edited:
Somewhat OT but what's the engine management like on that? EFI? feedback o2? Little switch for E10 (just richens 3%)?

If you're in mile high air, it's thinner, and if you aren't riding like a bozo your mileage should be pretty good especially if there's a feedback fuel system.

If I had something with all those fairings I think I couldn't help going 80 all the time.
thumbsup2.gif

Manufacturer recommendation on octane rating is based on see level. That is why in Colorado the low grade gas is rated 85 not 87.

I guess you arent in the mountains in Colorado, I go there every year and all I can find is 85 and 87 octane gas. With the altitude engine knock isnt an issues with the lower grades.

Funny, but as I think back on the three Texas Motorcycle trips that I have made in the past year, on three different bikes.....all three got bad mileage in Texas. Nearly immediately when getting into New Mexico and Colorado the mileage started to climb.

Riding my son's DL650 VStrom from Houston to Colorado last fall....the bike was getting 40mpg across Texas. Once we got it to Colorado it jumped up to 50mpg and has been that way for the past 10 months.

Maybe it is an altitude thing?

By the way, that Beemer that I own (K1200LT) is a EFI system that is pretty sophisticated. Don't know the details, but it should be a really good system.

It's your speed.

Keep the bike at 65 mph and see what happens. Your mileage will be at or very near what the previous owner claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back