Used CR-V? RAV4? Equinox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Equinox... It's actually a very strong product, and if you ask me, its the best looking of the 3. It's also (The Equinox and Terrain actually) the largest income for the plant I work in.

If he wants a 4 cyl, his choices are going to be limited.

In addition to the RAV4 and CRV, consider the Jeep Patriot or Compass. 4 cyl engine plus avail 4WD.

A nice alternative choice is the Mazda CX7. Fun to drive and stylish, they can be had all day long in the $15-20k range.

Also, check out the Nissan Rouge if he wants a small Asian SUV.

One last idea - 2009 Dodge Journey's are now showing up on the market. You can find them with the 2.4L 4 cyl in the teens. IF he wants more Buick-like room but good mileage, a Journey might be a nice choice.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

One last idea - 2009 Dodge Journey's are now showing up on the market. You can find them with the 2.4L 4 cyl in the teens. IF he wants more Buick-like room but good mileage, a Journey might be a nice choice.

I've already looked into the Journey. What I've read is that the 2.4 is pretty much under-powered.

A 3.5 with front wheel drive might be a good compromise.

The Journeys up here are having a lot of problems with Window Regulators and Power Windows. Just for your info... This information is recent as of last week talking to a friend of my dad's that is still working for Chrysler.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Curious about what MrSilva has against the Escape...

I don't have anything against it.

This vehicle is not for me... it's for my parents. And my Dad has no desire to own a Ford.... ever. And I respect that, as it is his decision.

It would be a complete waste of time to even suggest a Ford to him... so why do it?

I happen to have two Ford products sitting in my garage right now. Yes... me. My name is on BOTH titles.

One of them is very similar to your '97 T-Bird... it is a Cougar.

The Ford loyalists on this board who think that I'm some sort of a Ford hater are dead wrong.... as I own two Fords.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The Journeys up here are having a lot of problems with Window Regulators and Power Windows. Just for your info... This information is recent as of last week talking to a friend of my dad's that is still working for Chrysler.

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the info. We are just now getting them in stock, mostly former rentals. Prices seems really good and they have a lot of room. Haven't driven one yet.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Curious about what MrSilva has against the Escape...

I don't have anything against it.

This vehicle is not for me... it's for my parents. And my Dad has no desire to own a Ford.... ever. And I respect that, as it is his decision.

It would be a complete waste of time to even suggest a Ford to him... so why do it?

I happen to have two Ford products sitting in my garage right now. Yes... me. My name is on BOTH titles.

One of them is very similar to your '97 T-Bird... it is a Cougar.

The Ford loyalists on this board who think that I'm some sort of a Ford hater are dead wrong.... as I own two Fords.

I thought you had some bad experience specifically with Escapes in the past, so I was curious, as I know 2 people who own them and they've been pretty reliable.

Last edited:
What about a previous generation Santa Fe? I think the current generation started in 2007, so you'd be looking 2006 model year and older.

In 2005 when we were looking at a Sonata (ended up buying a one year old Vibe), on the lot we ran into another customer whose daughter just had a rollover accident and swears that the only reason she survived it was due to her Santa Fe.

The previous generations are a little smaller than the current generation, and as far as I know, don't have the transmission issues the 6 speed autos on the new version have (4 speed autos are fine it seems). They can be had for about $10k all day long pretty loaded up with less than 100k miles. You can choose from FWD or AWD, and two different V6 engines.

If he wants something a little newer, but not really new (since the price would be too high), he could also look at the Maxda CX7 or maybe even a Jeep Liberty. These in addition to the previous generation Equinox.

I thought you had some bad experience specifically with Escapes in the past, so I was curious, as I know 2 people who own them and they've been pretty reliable.

I'm sorry. You may have me confused with someone else.

If you are looking for some fuel economy, good handling, inside comfort and nice manufacturing, not looking to tow anything with it, I encourage you to look at the Rogue.
This car was made with that category of people in mind (older people with no more kids to take care of (except sometimes grand children?)).
It has great ratings in safety (original design by Renault (based on the Megane)) and really comfy when you sit inside.

The first ones are getting out of lease, so you should get some good deals. And the mid life refresh is out for 2011, so it should decrease the value of the first ones.
If you go for an used one, check for the CVT transmission: If it has been changed or make some noise when decelerating from about 50mph (foot out of the throttle fast), don't get it, you will have problems with the transmission (again if it has been changed). If the car is clean in that aspect, go buy in confidence, that is basically the only problem you could have with this car.

Out of that CUV, I would look at the Forester, the CR-V, the Outlander, and the RAV-4.

I looked at all of them, but at the end, I chose the Rogue.
Go test drive it before rejecting it, a lot of people were surprised how good it is (a lot bought it after a test drive).

Have fun experimenting.

If you're dad is a die-hard GM man, he'd be happiest with the Equinox or Pontiac Torrent. They have a strong V-6, and the latest ones, AFAIK, don't have IMG problems. Good prices to be had on used ones, due to the new 2010's that are out.

Seems a no-brainer to me.....

Since your dad is a GM man, may I suggest going with Pontiac Vibe. My own father switched from an 1994 Oldsmobile 88 LSS to brand new Pontiac Vibe in 2006. Vibe is really a Toyota Matrix with GM badge. It's very fuel efficient and dad has rip the benefit in the past four years. Surprisingly it's also easy to get in and out because it sits higher than sedan. With dad approaching 70yrs old, Vibe is also very nimble and easy to drive.

For Saturn Vue 4-cyl, definitely go with 2005 or later because automatic CVT transmission is troublesome in earlier models. If your dad can drive stick shift, these VUE should have good fuel mileage.

I have a 2002 CR-V EX awd that I bought new in July 2002. It's been fairly reliable throughout its life. I've never been thrilled with the fuel mileage. But for what it is, it's been an outstanding vehicle that, absent owning a full-size truck at home, I've used to haul around all sorts of stuff. The interior and exterior have held up nicely as well. I have to say, that's something I don't see as much in the VUE of the same vintage, which was my second choice. I was overruled by my wife b/c she said it looked like it was made of LEGO blocks. Only thing I've ever had to worry with was staying on top of fluid changes. The awd model needs its diff fluid changed at shorter than spec'd intervals. Also, mine goes through maybe a quart of engine oil over the course of 5k miles.

Mom and Dad had the opportunity to spend some time with a 2009 RAV4 last night.

Dad commented about the choppy ride, and that it had more road noise than they expected.

I would suspect that the choppy ride is due to the shorter wheelbase... although the choppy ride and the road noise could both be due to an issue with the factory choice of tires. I'll need to do a little research on that.

I'm assuming that the factory tire on a RAV4 was something along the lines of a Dunlop Grandtrek, or similar.

Next up will likely be a Equinox. We'll see what kind of a difference that a 8" longer wheelbase makes.

I test drive these cars every day. RAV4 is choppy no matter what. CRV is smoother, Nissan Rouge in between but still comfy.

If you want "choppy by design", get a Jeep Liberty. Ford Escape is close. Interestingly, people buy both in droves partially because the ride. Women especially like the Jeep and Ford; I've heard many positive comments about their ride quality, although I think it's terrible on both.

Lots of small SUV's on th market to drive. Tell them to take their time.

We recently had a 2010 RAV automatic all wheel drive for a rental and it got 29.3 overall . The AVG. on the display showed 24.3 overall . It had 966 miles on it . So not even broken in . I have a fairly light foot , so results may vary .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Tell them to take their time.

We are. This isn't a pressure buy. This is a case of where they'd like something different, instead of needing something different.

And if they walk away unimpressed with all of them, then they'll just continue to drive their Buick.

Dad's boss just traded in a V6 Liberty Limited (that only got 15mpg) on a 2010 CRV. Dad will probably get the chance to try it out sometime next week.

Hopefully, he'll get enough time with it to know if it stays on the list, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back