Some 5w-30 Oils compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Boron and Calcium for cleaning, Moly for anti-wear. It depends what you are leaning towards in an oil.
Isn't Moly a cleaner too? (I don't know, just asking here). The reason I say that is b/c of the speculations by some that too much Moly actually causes wear, so it seems weird to me that it could be an anti-wear additive.

And I wonder if RP can get away with the lower detergents (ie: calcium) b/c it's a group iv and v basestock oil, which in itself cleans (?)? (again, just asking, I don't know this stuff. lol)

Last edited:
The RP would be my pick based upon my customer's UOAs and mine as well. It is a PAO and POE blend with some grp II for additive carrier. That is per RP tech info.(if you choose to accept it)

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
The RP would be my pick based upon my customer's UOAs and mine as well. It is a PAO and POE blend with some grp II for additive carrier. That is per RP tech info.(if you choose to accept it)

If they're using POE they could probably ditch the Group II all together.

While the chart is good, I think it is telling only part of the story. Someone mentioned base stock, I think that very important, and we really aren't seeing the total story for any of these oils. I would think Edge is coming from a better base stock than Syntec, and is probably a better product.

Not to mention the organic additives that won't show up here. Something supposedly Valvoline uses in their SynPower, which turns out awesome UOA's despite being lacking in their VOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back