Looking for an alternative to the WIX 51040...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I found a better alternative?

Part Number: 51036
UPC Number: 765809510364
Principal Application: GM Cars + Trucks (80-05), Mercruiser, Volvo-Penta
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 18X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=12/26
Burst Pressure-PSI: 325
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

Part Number: 51040
UPC Number: 765809510401
Principal Application: Daewoo (99-02), GM Cars/Trucks (76-10), Saab (94-98)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 18X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=15/31
Burst Pressure-PSI: 325
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

So if I read the specs correctly, the 51036 is longer, has the same basic attributes, but does better at filtration according to the beta ratios???

Yeah, I'm in the same boat w/ the WIX 51356 vs. 51365 same deal one is longer and has the better beta ratio but my Nissan calls for the short one with the lousy beta ratio. I'm just going to buy the long one and see if it fits ie. ground clearance or whatever because the have exactly the same inside gasket dimensions and threads.
I would like some help too but I am just going for it, at worst I'll take it back to NAPA.....OR.....
15.gif

Quote:
So if I read the specs correctly, the 51036 is longer, has the same basic attributes, but does better at filtration according to the beta ratios???
Yep, that's how I read it, if there is space for it.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Yes indeed there is. It is mounted vertically with nothing below it.

Is this for a GM since it has no bypass valve. If so, be careful that it doesn't stick down too far below the engine.

I am also looking at a Pure One (PL24011) for this application. Any thoughts as to which is better?

1995 Grand(ammit)/3.1 v6

The engine in question is re-built and has yet to be installed in the car. It has the filter adapter that mounts it vertical instead of off at the same angle as the side of the block like the newer 3.1,3.4 and 3.5's.

I was just cruising the net looking for a better filter than the WIX 51040 I'm using now and remembered that sometimes manufacturers will have a better filtering part that will still fit. That led me to the 51036. Then I remembered all the rave reviews of the P1, so I went looking for it's specs. Pending on the answer via e-mail, I may find out.

My main concern is oil flow. This is one of the earlier iterations of the 3.1 with the old style pivot ball rocker arms and noisy pistons. Speaking of which, it wasn't in my budget to replace them, so they were cleaned and reused. Really, they looked quite good for 142k miles. Same with the crank- didn't have the money to have it turned as it measured out on the bottom end of the (IMO very) tight spec. New rings and bearings was the best I could muster.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

My main concern is oil flow. This is one of the earlier iterations of the 3.1 with the old style pivot ball rocker arms and noisy pistons. Speaking of which, it wasn't in my budget to replace them, so they were cleaned and reused. Really, they looked quite good for 142k miles. Same with the crank- didn't have the money to have it turned as it measured out on the bottom end of the (IMO very) tight spec. New rings and bearings was the best I could muster.

I have used the 51040 (and the P1) for my Silverado with no issues whatsoever. Now, I will admit I am not familiar w/ the engine in a '95 Grand Am. However, it seems as though it has a bad design to it that contributes to noise, as you describe it. IMO, have a marginally larger filter will only have a marginal effect on the noise. But to each their own, I guess. Both Wix and P1 are very good filters and I would buy whichever one you can find cheaper.
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back