Movie: Salt + Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CompSyn
You know, both Iron Man movies did advertising for Royal Purple. Maybe I missed it, but I don’t recall seeing blatant Royal Purple ads during the movie and that’s how it should be. For example, Tony Stark didn’t paint one of his Iron Man suits purple and slap a Royal Purple logo on it. If that were the case, it would be an example of poor usage and placement.

Royal Purple was pretty prominent in G.I. Joe. I will give RP credit, their product placement is impressive. It seems like RP is everywhere, movies, PowerBlockTV, etc.

No, it's funny because they really are cheesy like you say. I wasn't trying to say anything beyond that. I haven't seen "Salt" but if it takes place in Houston, the RP van wouldn't be too far-fetched of a van to land on. We even have RP mini vans around here, too, as well as semis. And, yes, they look cheesy too...
A05_ChesterEngineImage.jpg

Dangerously so.

I thought the RP truck looked pretty good, gloss black sides with the RP logo floating in the center.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
No, it's funny because they really are cheesy like you say. I wasn't trying to say anything beyond that. I haven't seen "Salt" but if it takes place in Houston, the RP van wouldn't be too far-fetched of a van to land on. We even have RP mini vans around here, too, as well as semis. And, yes, they look cheesy too...
A05_ChesterEngineImage.jpg

Dangerously so.
lol.gif

Actually, Salt takes place in Washington D.C. Maybe the politicians up there like to use it in their limousines and get special deliveries of it via cool black box van?
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Royal Purple was pretty prominent in G.I. Joe. I will give RP credit, their product placement is impressive. It seems like RP is everywhere, movies, PowerBlockTV, etc.

It’s funny you mention that. The current Netflix in the DVD player is G.I. Joe. Let me go finish it and I’ll look for shameless plugs during the film.

To clarify, I’m not picking on Royal Purple, just how it’s advertised during movies that I paid to see. If Hollywood is struggling to make profits that badly that they need to rely on advertisements, maybe they should start making original films again so that people actually want to pay to see them.

I’m not really that upset over it. I’m part sarcastic, part serious. It’s fun to mix it up on here. Thanks guys for obliging.

25.gif

Originally Posted By: John_Corey
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
That doesn't mean the movie has to be a two hour-long ad.
wink.gif

Hi d00df00d,

I have watched Salt, and the amount of product placement was just about average for this genre. The movie was hardly a two-hour ad. Salt was actually one of the better action movies this summer.

Cheers,
-J

I disagree, it’s about usage and placement. When a movie (case and point) goes out of the way to plaster up advertising on a vehicle during a pivotal chase scene, and the advertising has nothing to do with the movies plot at that point in time, that’s when it gets a bit far fetched for me, enter Salt.

You know, both Iron Man movies did advertising for Royal Purple. Maybe I missed it, but I don’t recall seeing blatant Royal Purple ads during the movie and that’s how it should be. For example, Tony Stark didn’t paint one of his Iron Man suits purple and slap a Royal Purple logo on it. If that were the case, it would be an example of poor usage and placement.

While we’re on the topic of the Iron Man movies, I guess a reasonable example of tasteful usage and placement of an ad would be if there was a shot of Tony Stark pouring Royal Purple in one of his hot rods; Royal Purple not being the focal point of the shot but rather passive and in the background. Recall, the first Iron Man movie where Tony is working on his Flat-Head V8 hot rod? Tony works on hot rods in his spare time, if he was changing his oil and using Royal Purple, that’s not far fetched.

And that's what I'm saying. In fact the Salt trailer posted above gives it away. The black box van with Royal Purple plastered on the side... Cheeeessssyyy!!!!!!

LOL That's what they look like in REAL LIFE! I see them coming from Porter all the time.

So there rally are black box vans that drive around with the RP logo on them? I don't see stuff like that in my neck of the woods. Perhaps I've got it all wrong. If there really were a hot-female-rogue-CIA-agent on the run from the authorities, and she did happen to jump from a speeding semi-truck to a Royal Purple box van, then that wouldn't far fetched at all. Okay, never mind my rant...
02.gif

Hi CompSyn,

I did notice the Royal Purple placement in both Iron Man movies. However, I found the incessant Audi advertising a lot more irritating. Audi needs to be stopped. They have already ruined Ronin, I, Robot, Transporter 2 and 3, and Taken.

Cheers,
-J

If Hollywood is struggling to make profits that badly that they need to rely on advertisements, maybe they should start making original films again so that people actually want to pay to see them.

WORD.

01.gif

Salt was just OK. She's as thin as a tooth pick but beats up entire squads of big hit men..in swat gear. Yeah right...

The ending really blew chunks.

If Hollywood is struggling to make profits that badly that they need to rely on advertisements, maybe they should start making original films again so that people actually want to pay to see them.

WORD.

01.gif

+1
thumbsup2.gif

To be fair, the reality is a little more complicated than that. Most people don't see the value in spending the time and money to watch a movie in a theater when they can wait for the DVD or just pirate it. It's not enough to make a good movie; they have to get people off their couches, which is quite difficult these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back