Oil for 06 Jetta TDi-Worried about cam wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read numerous threads regarding the cam issues these specific years have.

Is there a recommended fluid that will aid or prevent failure? Let me know guys.

Thanks!

There are, and none of them are VW 505.01 certified.
56.gif
VW's oil spec is more to do with emissions than engine longevity.

In no particular order I would recommend: Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 (Mobil 1 0w40 however is NOT PD cam friendly), Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w40, Amsoil DEO 5w40, Petro Canada Duron 5w40, Shell Rotella T 5w40 and pretty much any other CJ-4 synthetic 5w40 oil.

I believe one of the users here uses Redline 5w40 to combat this issue, to great effect. Though that may be out of the price range you're willing to spend on oil.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
There are, and none of them are VW 505.01 certified.
56.gif
VW's oil spec is more to do with emissions than engine longevity.

In no particular order I would recommend: Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 (Mobil 1 0w40 however is NOT PD cam friendly), Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w40, Amsoil DEO 5w40, Petro Canada Duron 5w40, Shell Rotella T 5w40 and pretty much any other CJ-4 synthetic 5w40 oil.

+1, this guy knows what he is talking about, M1 0w40 is good but not for your application.

The Motul Specific 505.01 has a decent spec sheet. It's pricey but their oils are definitely top-notch.

For readily-available products, I will agree with the above suggestion of Mobil 1 TDT or Shell Rotella T6. Mobil Delvac 1 is another alternative but it's a bit harder to find versus regular Delvac 1300.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Wait, does your car spec 505.01 or 504/507?

505.01 for 2004 - 2006 PD engines, except for the V10 Toureg engine which may or may not require 505.01 and/or 506.01 depending on who you ask.

507.00 is for the CR engines (2009+) only. I did run that oil in my PD Golf for 30k miles but I know better now and would never recommend anything but a 5w40 with big HTHS numbers and a good dose of ZDDP.

Amsoil Euro or Amsoil Diesel will provide good bang-for-the-buck in that case. (each is $9/qt or less)

They can easily take the 10k change interval.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Amsoil Euro or Amsoil Diesel will provide good bang-for-the-buck in that case. (each is $9/qt or less)

Amsoil Euro (AFL) hasn't shown to perform appreciably any better than 505.01 oils from what I've seen on TDIClub UOAs. If you like products from that blender from Superior WI, I would heartily recommend DEO over it.

And if you want to 'zero time' the cam, there's a vendor on TDIClub you should get in touch with - Franko6 - as he can provide an entire repair kit in a box, including all the fasteners (OEM stretch bolts or aftermarket engineered non-stretch bots), cam bearing shells, OEM or aftermarket camshaft. IIRC, Colt Cams analyzed the cam profile on the BRM cam and found the base circle transition was too aggressive and now they have both regrinds & billet cams that have corrected that issue - Frank stocks both. I'm not a customer or an associate, but I've seen him at work flow balancing & pop testing injectors and his work is excellent.

BMW-this is very true, but the car is for my old man and he drives quite a bit. I really dont think he has the time to be taking the camshaft assembly apart to take care of this issue.

Scurvy- Thanks a bunch for your replies, I just started lurking the TDI forums. For what it's worth, I have every single visit to the VW dealership documented since day one till 10K miles ago.

Originally Posted By: Striker
Where exactly could I get some ZDDP and exactly what sort of an additive is it? Is it a friction modifier in a sense?

Yes. Most diesel engine oils have ample ZDDP. I can't speak for the European spec diesel oils, though; one would have to check a product data sheet. If one is looking to add ZDDP, an engine break in additive usually has more than enough. I'm not big on additives, though.

If one is worried about warranty and wants to stick to specified oils, it would certainly not be in one's best interest to play with the oil chemistry by using additives. If one doesn't care about using the specified oils, there are plenty of other choices that have enough ZDDP without playing amateur chemist and buying ultra-expensive additives.

I'm going to throw mobile one tdt in her. I read that it's a good idea to throw in some zddp to help with the cam wear issues these motors have.

Originally Posted By: Striker
I've read numerous threads regarding the cam issues these specific years have.

Is there a recommended fluid that will aid or prevent failure? Let me know guys.

Some folks add ZDDP, but basically there is no magic elixir. Some cams are metallurgically weak, fortunately most are not. If a cam is going to fail, the choice of engine oil is probably not going to help.

Many PD TDI owners have switched to something like Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck -- which meets no VAG specs at all. I think if I had a PD engine, I'd use TDT but add some ZDDP and a half-can (150 ml) of Lubro-Moly MoS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back