Best engine/gear oil options for 4.7L 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, let me say that I have been reading the threads on this forum for the past week or two. There is an really good amount of info here. So two weeks ago I bought a used 4Runner V8 and changed the oil. The dealership had already done it and overfilled by a LOT and tightened the filter so much that it tok me forever to take it off.

So I ended up putting some leftover Torco synthetic 5W-30 and now I'm out. I'd like to switch oils starting next time and use something with not too much moly but something that does not shear down too fast.

I am a mostly conservative driver but when I go to the mountains really early, I sometimes get on it and like to fly up those mountain roads. The V8 is too addictive. It is a 2005 with 65,000 miles and I am looking for a good oil and a good gear oil as well. Given all the UOAs and other info you all have been exposed to (unlike me) could you all give me a couple of recommendations?

I prefer to buy oil locally available but have no problem buying online. I have used Amsoil engine oil before and would like to try something new.

The manual calls for 5W-30 and I'd rather not switch to 5W-20 just yet- I need to feel more comfortable with it. So any recommendations for a good engine oil and gear oil (75-90)?

For the engine oil, try either Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra. I am running the PU and am pleased so far with the smoothness and quietness of the engine. I'll have to leave the gear oil recommendation to more experienced rear-wheel drive BITOG members(I'm a front wheel drive man).

I like Red Line gear oil. Amsoil Severe Gear is very good as well and I've been hearing some good stuff about RLI's gear oil but nothing firsthand.

Any mainstream synthetic will serve you will. If you want an engine oil beside Amsoil, try Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Edge, Red Line, RLI, or M1 EP.
21.gif

Good call on the Pennzoil. That is definitely one to keep on top. Hopefully it is easy to find.

Also hear consistently good things about RL (except one weight has a ton of Moly).

Amsoil Severe Gear Oil or Motul were my initial two options.

Last edited:
Toyota themselves are specifying their motor oils with lots of moly, why don't you want moly? All Red Line motor oils contain moly levels on par with Toyota's 0W-20, except their CJ-4 oils (5W-40 and 15W-40) which have almost none.

Pennzoil Ultra is low in moly but relatively high in boron.

Have you looked into Motul 300V 5W-30?

I just don't want too much moly is all. Moly is fine but I don't want a "flyer" oil that uses too much when compared to the others. I'm here in Colorado so it does get cold in the winter.

I've used Motul 8100 Eco-Energy 5w30 in my V6 T4R with great results, smooth idle and no noticeable consumption. Motul generally has low moly content.

Toyota released a TSB for a number of Toyota engines (including your 4.7 V8) in March '06, indicating 5w20 is recommended for improved fuel economy. It is worth a try, I'll be making the switch soon to Amsoil XL 5w20 and also have some PP 5w20 in the stash. The thinner oil would be great for your cold winters.

I have Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in the diffs and Motul Gear 75w90 in the Transfer Case.

Also, could I use the Euro version in the same weight? It appears to me that the main difference is that the Euro versions aim to protect the engine without as much focus on fuel efficiency while the US versions have a secondary focus on fuel efficiency which may (statistically) reduce the engine protection with a different additive package. Any truth to this opinion I have formed?

I'm lucky to have a local shop that carries the full Motul line-up. Euro specs should be fine as long as it's SL rated or higher, but I'm sure these will be expensive and even harder to find.

If convenience and price is an issue, over the counter synthetics will do fine in your engine as well. Mobil1 seems to be popular in the T4R community.

Pennzoil Yellow bottle Dino, Shell Rotella T6 05W-40 synthetic and if you change your mind and do want Moly.....Formula Shell Dino are all good choices.

Congrats on your new set of wheels. You'll love the T4R!

I was looking at that T6 by Shell. However, since it was 5W-40, I was not sure if it had some thicker properties that would be detrimental for the motor calling for 5W-30. However, some say synthetics are a bit "thinner" than dino and so many similar motors in Europe call for 5W-40. For fun, I asked the walmart guys about it and they just looked stunned and looked at me like I was the biggest geek they had ever encountered. Then they went and talked to their manager and came back and told me to call Toyota, a perfectly canned answer I was expecting.

i recommend valvoline synpower for my cousin's 4runner and noticed the engine was purring more smoothly. he does once a year oil changes on it.

Just do a search on the forum for the T6 and the T4R. There are some people who use it with great success in their T4R. For a synthetic, it is thinner, so it's not 40wt HM or Dino. I had bought a 3 jugs of it for my next oil change and might use it or else all the Formula shell and PYB that I recently picked up on sale from Walgreen's.

You also might want to consider using a larger filter in your T4R. The oil filter for your T4R can handle a larger oil filter with ease and it will give you more capacity, better media for filtering and also more filtering area. Also do a search on Over-sized Oil Filter for Toyota's and you will see the results. I just changed my tea cup spec-ed oil filter out for a longer Napa Gold 1516. Your vehicle might handle a 1515 Napa Gold. The Napa Gold filters are on sale till the end of the month.

i think I'm good filter-wise...for a while. I recently found a source for the original Japanese Denso filter (as opposed to the Thai-made one) so I ordered a dozen. After I run out, I'll look at a bigger filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back