Corvette ZR1 oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
One thing about the ZR1 which is really cool, and my fellow oil nuts will love, is the fact that it's got a dry sump oiling system that holds 10.5 quarts of oil! This system is also available on the Z06 models, and all manual transmission equipped Grand Sport models too!

Yep. When one came into my plant for one of the execs to drive I checked it out and thought man...wonder how many of these will get messed up by the quick lube joints...LOL!

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I'm going to guess this article will not satisfy your desire for documentation that XOM engineers and GM engineers collaborate, even though it pretty explicitly says they do:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/...amp;newsLang=en

robert
You are correct. The ZR1 was not built for racing and was not co-designed by Mobil.

And that article has nothing about ZR1. Nothing about chassis design. Nothing about GM. Does have Pratt & Miller and Corvette Racing which is a private outfit.

I just find it funny that people think that since it comes with Mobil 1 as factory fill, has a Mobil 1 oil cap then they helped design the vehicle.

Guess Quaker State helps with Hyundai design/engineering then?

Bill

Originally Posted By: dparm
0w40 is the better M1, not 0w30.

The ZR1 and Z06 both have massive oil coolers and keep the oil temperature down, there is no reason to use an xW-40 in either of them.

Originally Posted By: JonnySaab
If that Beautiful car were mine I would use any 5w-30 and change it every time I drove it. WOW that is a great car.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

And id probably use Mobil 1, since:

1) It says so on the Cap (My car giving me Instructions! Stupid ME!
lol.gif
) and
2) My Owners Book (DVD? I like Books) says 5W-30.

So.. Mobil 1 + 5W-30 = Mobil 1 5W-30.
happy2.gif

But thats just me. My car doesnt know what its talking about, does it.

Oh, and pardon me if i bought the Marketing hype. It still says Mobil 1 on the Cap.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Originally Posted By: JonnySaab
If that Beautiful car were mine I would use any 5w-30 and change it every time I drove it. WOW that is a great car.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

And id probably use Mobil 1, since:

1) It says so on the Cap (My car giving me Instructions! Stupid ME!
lol.gif
) and
2) My Owners Book (DVD? I like Books) says 5W-30.

So.. Mobil 1 + 5W-30 = Mobil 1 5W-30.
happy2.gif

But thats just me. My car doesnt know what its talking about, does it.

Oh, and pardon me if i bought the Marketing hype. It still says Mobil 1 on the Cap.
thumbsup2.gif

You forgot also that the Vehicle was co-designed by Mobil! (Nice that you ignore that)
06.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
You forgot also that the Vehicle was co-designed by Mobil! (Nice that you ignore that)

I'm assuming you also believe that the suspension, electronics, tires, etc has no outside experts involved with their design and manufacture?

Lubrication seems like one of the more critical systems in the car, it would seem odd to me to assume that they did not use expert resources that are available to them.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

I'm assuming you also believe that the suspension, electronics, tires, etc has no outside experts involved with their design and manufacture?

Lubrication seems like one of the more critical systems in the car, it would seem odd to me to assume that they did not use expert resources that are available to them.

robert

Ferrari may very well consult with a company that knits socks for their lubrication research and developement.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

Ferrari may very well consult with a company that knits socks for their lubrication research and developement.
crazy2.gif

Fruit of the Loom? Haynes?

Originally Posted By: tig1

crazy2.gif

Fruit of the Loom? Haynes?

That's funny. Good one.

Originally Posted By: Bill In Utah
06.gif

Bill, I apologize. Seems the -vehicle- may not have been designed alongside Mobil. All i was trying to say was that it says "Mobil 1" on the Engine OIL Filler Cap, and also that Mobil 1 Brochures list Mobil 1 as FF for many cars, this being one of them.

cheers3.gif
:cheers2:

02.gif
34.gif

Last edited:
I know a lot of guys tracking their C6 vettes (LS3's, LS7's and LS9's) using M1 HM 5w-30.

I used to track a Z06 - and sold her with 19K miles - the engine was virtually still brand new in that car

The basic reasons they offer are as follows:
1) same basestocks as regular M1 5w-30 - all M1 use the same basic basestocks to a large degree
2) the high mileage has improved HTHS - 3.4
3) yet the HM has almost the same cold start viscosity and vis index
4) most significant for me: the extra anti-wear additives in the HM as shown in lab results indicates that it provides better oil wear lab test results after more than 2 track events on the same fill
5) the cats are under warranty the longest - period!! these folks have several cars - they simply buy and put M1 5w-30 into those vehicles. pretty simple to provide receipts to support any warranty issues - frequent oil change intervals and the facts keep smiles on those gear heads. sacrifice cats for engine wear on track - I can see their point
6) oil pressure at 210F or higher is better

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would install oil temp gauge if it's not in the car already, if the oil temp is rarely above 210-220F then M1 0W20 may be the better oil.
In real life there will not be a difference.

Any oil meeting the GM 4718M will be fine. I have to assume GM track tested the car with Mobil 1 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back