Got lazy bought valvoline synthetic gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to reseal my center differential so I had to dump the rotella 85w140 that was only in there for about 10k miles. I decided to go back to a synthetic oil at the specified viscosity of 75w90. I usually buy mobil 1 gear oil but autozone is over 30 minutes away and I was tired so I stopped by the local Napa and grabbed a few quarts of valvoline synthetic 75w90.

I'm not up on my gear oil info but I assume this is decent stuff? Or should I make the drive and get the mobil 1? In this application (land rover discovery) the cats and exhaust pipes pass within inches of the case and it get's pretty hot so I either use a synthetic or a thicker conventional oil and change more often.

I have used it for several years now, seems to be good stuff!
I wouldn't think twice about using it, I'd say probably at least equally as good as Mobil 1, if not better.

Excellent choice.
01.gif

It would be on the top of my list. Over many others!

Bill

I used Valvoline Synthetic 75W-140 when I replaced the axle shafts in my DD. Car seems to like it...nice and quiet, LSD works perfectly.

I really like Valvoline gear oil. I tried Mobil 1 and Valvoline in my '89 Toyota truck axles, and the Mobil 1 tended to sling out the pinion seal, but Valvoline stayed in there and ran 100,000 miles.

um if its supposed to have 75w140 then why did you replace with 75w90? thats actually thinner stuff.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
um if its supposed to have 75w140 then why did you replace with 75w90? thats actually thinner stuff.

Who says it is supposed to have 75w140? Or are you just looking to pick a fight? um.........?

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Anyone know if this stuff is PAO or not? Additive package seems like a very conventional sulfur-phosphorus formula.

Probably hydrocracked petroleum like mobil 1 and the like.

Flash point of this stuff is 163 degrees Celsius? 75W-140 is 134 Celsius? Are those typos on that PDF??

Thanks, but my Delo 80W-90 has a published flash point of 210 degrees Celsius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back