new seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my bike:

IMG_3979.jpg

I need a new saddle. My sister bought a Mongoose MTB from WM and her boyfriend got one from Academy. They both swapped their seats out and I wanted to use one of them, but I dont see how to swap them. I, dont think its possible though. Can I just take my seat and seatpost (they're connected) to the bike shop or do I need to bring the entire bike to ensure a proper fit?

Any suggestions on cheap seats? I just want something better than my extra cushy seat that pains the perineum and isn't so narrow it gives me wedgies. I'd be happy to swap the one I have than me work fine with the female gender AND if you want some Shimano clipless, I'll trade them too for metal spike-like BMX style pedals.

Last edited:
seat position is critical. the seat itself can be removed from the post w/ a 6mm allen wrench. but beyond that, the fore/aft position and angle should be set by a bike shop or a friend who knows what they are doing.

mpvue is correct. Have a bike shop help with the seat set-up. If you buy something from the bike shop (anything) while you're there, they will be much more willing to help with the seat set-up.

Also, I love the bike!! It is basically the all aluminum version of my old Trek 2300, which I rode for thousands of miles. Those bikes actually have pretty good resale, too. I sold my 2300 for $400 more than I paid for it. Here's a pic of my old 2300:

MyoldTrek.jpg

Go to a Specialized or a Fisher dealer and have them measure your butt. Seriously. The will measure how wide your sit bones are and recommend a saddle for you. Most bike shops I know will also give you a quick fitting to make sure its right

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
mpvue is correct. Have a bike shop help with the seat set-up. If you buy something from the bike shop (anything) while you're there, they will be much more willing to help with the seat set-up.

Also, I love the bike!! It is basically the all aluminum version of my old Trek 2300, which I rode for thousands of miles. Those bikes actually have pretty good resale, too. I sold my 2300 for $400 more than I paid for it. Here's a pic of my old 2300:

MyoldTrek.jpg

Is that a Campy Athena gruppo??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

The components were all Shimano 600, with the exception of the crankset. That was a Chinese, heavy, no-name square taper compact crank, that I got from a buddy for $20.

The components on my current bike are '07 Campy Record. Love Campy!

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

The components were all Shimano 600, with the exception of the crankset. That was a Chinese, heavy, no-name square taper compact crank, that I got from a buddy for $20.

The components on my current bike are '07 Campy Record. Love Campy!

Oh, OK. The hoods/levers threw me off (as well as the cut outs on the chainrings/shape of the crank arms).

Yes, Campy ROCKS!.

'01 Record 10 (with '09 Record Carbon Compact cranks) on my Merlin Road here!
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, Campy ROCKS!.

'01 Record 10 (with '09 Record Carbon Compact cranks) on my Merlin Road here!
thumbsup2.gif

Merlin?! I am very jealous!! My lovely Campy components are mated to a (shhhhhh) Taiwanese Motobecane frame.

Seat angle is usually easy... it should be set up level or slightly up in the front for a guy. If you are having to angle it more than that, the saddle doesn't work for you.

IME fore/aft is fairly simple. Drop a plumb bob from the front of your knee when you're sitting on the bike in a riding position with the pedal in the forward 3 o'clock position. The plumb bob should intersect the pedal spindle. If that's giving you knee problems (which it shouldn't under most circumstances) slight adjustments fore or aft should fix it.

Yes, getting it fitted at a bike shop can't hurt but the easiest method is to do it yourself. You know what feels right better than a guy at a bike shop looking at you on the bike (once you have the initial set-up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back