2000 Mercury Villager ATF Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to drain and refill the automatic transmission fluid on my parents' 2000 Mercury Villager. It has about 93,000 miles on it and I don't know if the fluid has ever been changed. If there is a filter I will replace that as well. I am planning on refilling it with a synthetic fluid (maybe Mobil 1 ATF?) Obviously, draining it will not get everything out, so is it okay to mix the new synthetic fluid with the (probably) conventional fluid that's left in the transmission? Also, should I do this with the transmission hot or cold and does anyone know approx how much I should add? I have a Haynes manual but I don't see where it says how much to add for a drain/refill.

No problem using syn fluid. I'd do it hot. Check the level before you drain, and if it is OK, then simply add back in the same amount you drain out. Amsoil site lists the total fill for this vehicle at 8.8 qts.

Since I do not know if the fluid has been changed previously, should I first start with something cheaper, such as Castrol High Mileage ATF or Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF and change early after 5-10k? Does anyone have experience with the Import Multi-Vehicle vs the High Mileage? I am open to other brands as well. I just know the two Castrols and Mobil 1 are available at the local AutoZone.

M1 ATF will be fine. Check with AAP or AZ for fill amounts. Tranny temp doesn't matter. I prefer to change tranny fluid when it's cold.

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
Since I do not know if the fluid has been changed previously, should I first start with something cheaper, such as Castrol High Mileage ATF or Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF and change early after 5-10k? Does anyone have experience with the Import Multi-Vehicle vs the High Mileage? I am open to other brands as well. I just know the two Castrols and Mobil 1 are available at the local AutoZone.

As long as the fluid meets Nissan Matic D then it will work. Dad's Quest currently has Pennzoil multi-vehicle in it and it works fine.

My wife's 2000 Quest has Valvoline Maxlife ATF in it now, shifts very nice. It is a synthetic atf and isn't terribly expensive.
They use a brass screen for a filter, doesn't normally need replacing. There is a drain plug in the pan, my wifes took 1 gallon exactly to refill. I normally do a drain and fill once a year and call it good. If yours hasn't been changed regularly, I would do a drain and fill, drive it around for a few miles, and drain and fill again. Then keep it on a regular schedule like mine.
I doubt you will ever have any problems if you do this.

I had 2 Villagers...a '94 GS and a (loaded) '96 LS...both were GREAT vehicles (the '96 was my favorite). These were 1st generation models with the smaller (3.0L) engines and the single sliding door. I could get 28 mpg with the '96 on a trip. They rode and handled nicely and both were very reliable. If I recall, I used Amsoil ATF in the '96 and it worked fine (never a problem with the drive train). I got a kick out of people who thought the Villager was a Ford product...and swore by them. Funny that the dealers never bothered to tell them it was a Nissan. I'm sure that most of them would have opted for the wonderful Windstar (not!) if they knew.

I think of the Villager and Quest as a Fordsan. It was built in a Ford plant with what I suspect are mostly Ford parts with a Nissan powertrain (thank goodness).

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I had 2 Villagers...a '94 GS and a (loaded) '96 LS...both were GREAT vehicles (the '96 was my favorite). These were 1st generation models with the smaller (3.0L) engines and the single sliding door. I could get 28 mpg with the '96 on a trip. They rode and handled nicely and both were very reliable. If I recall, I used Amsoil ATF in the '96 and it worked fine (never a problem with the drive train). I got a kick out of people who thought the Villager was a Ford product...and swore by them. Funny that the dealers never bothered to tell them it was a Nissan. I'm sure that most of them would have opted for the wonderful Windstar (not!) if they knew.

I just had to get rid of my 93 Mercury Villager because the brake lines were too rusted and it wasn't worth the money to get them fixed. It was in our family since new in 93. It was passed down to me and I used it as my winter vehicle and to haul around friends. It had to have the trans rebuilt at 115,000, then again at 138,000. The transmission wasn't the same until the rusty lines ended it at 146,000. It was great to drive for a minivan.

Originally Posted By: cronk
The bottles are different, that bottle is from a couple years ago. Same stuff inside the bottle. I found at Advance auto parts in gallon jugs. It is synthetic and has performed great in our Quest.

Thanks for the advice. I found the 1 gallon jugs of MaxLife at Advance auto for $20. I got one for the Villager and another for my Dad's WRX. I also got the filter for the WRX trans for 7 bucks from NAPA. It is nice to be able to do two tranny fluid changes for $50.

The Villager shifts noticeably smoother with the new fluid. I wasn't expecting such a change. I guess it must have really needed a change.

The Villager shifts noticeably smoother with the new fluid. I wasn't expecting such a change. I guess it must have really needed a change.
[/quote]

I am currently using it in the Quest and in my 93 Chevy pickup.
It is working great, planning on using it in my 99 Saturn when its due for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back