anti drainback valve question

Status
Not open for further replies.
It keeps the dirty oil from draining out of a filter that is mounted with the inlet holes facing down.

Oil in the pan get's sucked into the oil pick up. Then through the oil pump. Goes through the oil galleys to the oil filter and through the outside of the filter and flows out the center of filter.

It then goes through another oil galley to the bearings that feed the crankshaft, camshaft, lifters and numerous other parts.

Found this after my blabbing above.
http://www.chrysler300club.com/rcmstuff/oil/oil.html

Your quote: ADBV what does it do?
- keep oil in the engine?
or
- keep the filter full

I will let other chime in on that one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what does it do?
- keep oil in the engine?
or
- keep the filter full

what is the oil flow path?
oil pump - filter - engine parts - then drain to pan?

I say neither; it keeps oil from the dirty side of the filter from draining back into the sump/pump.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
It keeps the dirty oil from draining out of a filter that is mounted with the inlet holes facing down.

This is correct although unfiltered oil may be a better description than "dirty" oil.

It's oil gallery, not oil galley.
grin2.gif

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/galley

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gallery

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

This is correct although unfiltered oil may be a better description than "dirty" oil.

It really doesn't matter if "dirty" oil drains back out of the dirty side of the filter ... it's still dirty.

The real purpose of the ADBV is to try and keep oil IN the filter after the engine is stopped so when the engine is restarted the filter doesn't have to fill back up with oil, thereby preventing a "dry start".

Most filters with good silicone ADBVs do the job as intended.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
So if a filter is mounted with the threads up and vertical, then a drainback valve is useless?

Yes, if the filter is at the lowest part of the oiling system, like in a lot of the small block V8 GM engines.

You will see filters for GM engines with ADBVs because those filters are also for other engines that need the ADBV.

The oil drains from the passages when the engine . The main purpoes of the antidrain back valve is to keep the oil from backwashing the filter into the oil pump and pan. Drystart is really an advertising term , If you have ever taken apart an engine there is enough oil oil on the parts to lube for the time it takes for the proper oil viscosity at the starting temps to circulate through the engine. Depending on engine design the anti drain back can holds the oil in the filter which is good. I had an 88 4 cyl Camry that the filter would empty no matter which flter I used. The oil leaked out of the crank bearings when the motor sat overnight. The filter was higher than the crank.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It really doesn't matter if "dirty" oil drains back out of the dirty side of the filter ... it's still dirty.

The real purpose of the ADBV is to try and keep oil IN the filter after the engine is stopped so when the engine is restarted the filter doesn't have to fill back up with oil, thereby preventing a "dry start".

I need one of these filter because my oil seems to get gets dirty over time even when i use the normal oil filter from the store.Does that mean my filter isn't up to the job?Unfiltered is 100% correct.

BTW the accepted terminology is oil galley.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It really doesn't matter if "dirty" oil drains back out of the dirty side of the filter ... it's still dirty.The real purpose of the ADBV is to try and keep oil IN the filter after the engine is stopped so when the engine is restarted the filter doesn't have to fill back up with oil, thereby preventing a "dry start".

Bingo! I was wondering if GA would show up first to make the point about the dirty oil draining back. It is his main complaint about the narrative portion of the minimopar filter study. As we've had this discussion before I believe it was the guy writing about motorcycle filters in the mm study that first made the needless point about "dirty oil" draining back with a poor adbv.

But, I agree with prevention of 'dry start' as the primary reason for a functioning adbv, with silicone generally being better than nitrile, especially the longer the OCI.

so what happens in a maxima v6 with side mounted (horizontal) filter when you cut the key off? MAxima filters do have the aniti drain back valve.
does the filter stay full?

After multiple explanations, there seems to be an unending supply of people who do not understand the function of the adbv in a filter mounted threads up, or sideways. The valve keeps the oil in the passages above the filter from draining back through the filter. If they do this they must be refilled upon startup and some of the bearings and lifters may starve for a short time. Many of us can immediately tell from the sound of the engine on startup if the adbv is not doing its job. Since most wear happens on cold startup, starving the cam, lifters and bearings is not a good idea. Regards, RW

Originally Posted By: justinf89
So if a filter is mounted with the threads up and vertical, then a drainback valve is useless?

No, still useful, and important. My Toyota car lets go quite a bit of oil when I break the seal on the low mounted, threads up filter. It has an adbv in the filter. With the GM cars, and many old model cars as well, if they specify no adbv in the filter, it is in the engine.

On an older Maxima, the filter was tilted but threads down. It had a long pipe over which the filter went to keep the oil in the filter. It went nearly to the filter can end. At the pipe bottom were the mount threads. Good design.

Horizontal filters should be no different, outlet oil can't get back through inlet due to adbv. Best sas I can figure.

You will have a dry start up, in most cases, right after you perform an Oil and Filter change. If you have a vertical mounted filter, with the threads facing down towards the engine, or a sideways mounted oil filter at 60 degree angle, you really cant fill the oil filter with oil when replacing the oil filter. It's impossible without spilling oil on the engine block. IMO....there is enough oil covering the vital parts to let the engine run for 15 -20 seconds, after filter replacement, to give the new filter time to fill up with oil.

IMO...The ADBV is helpful, if a car has been sitting for a long period of time, to prevent any dirt and pieces caught in the filter from draining back into the engine as well as having oil waiting in the filter to help at start up.

Originally Posted By: Trav

BTW the accepted terminology is oil galley.

Accepted by everyone who doesn't know the right terminology!
lol.gif
Which one do you think applies?
whistle.gif

Main Entry: galley
Function: noun

1 : a ship or boat propelled solely or chiefly by oars: as a : a long low ship used for war and trading especially in the Mediterranean Sea from the Middle Ages to the 19th century; also : galleass b : a warship of classical antiquity — compare bireme, trireme c : a large open boat (as a gig) formerly used in England
2 : the kitchen and cooking apparatus especially of a ship or airplane
3 a : an oblong tray to hold especially a single column of set type b : a proof of typeset matter especially in a single column before being made into pages.

Main Entry: gallery
Function: noun

1 a : a roofed promenade : colonnade b : corridor 1
2 a : an outdoor balcony b Southern & Midland : porch, veranda c : a platform at the quarters or stern of a ship
3 a : a long and narrow passage, apartment, or corridor b : a subterranean passageway in a cave or military mining system; also : a working drift or level in mining c : an underground passage made by a mole or ant or a passage made in wood by an insect (as a beetle)

Originally Posted By: dickwells
After multiple explanations, there seems to be an unending supply of people who do not understand the function of the adbv in a filter mounted threads up, or sideways.

You must mean "threads down".

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
With the GM cars, and many old model cars as well, if they specify no adbv in the filter, it is in the engine.

GM engines do not have an ADBV in the engine, but rather a by-pass valve in the engine block near the filter mount. Two different animals.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
You will have a dry start up, in most cases, right after you perform an Oil and Filter change. If you have a vertical mounted filter, with the threads facing down towards the engine, or a sideways mounted oil filter at 60 degree angle, you really cant fill the oil filter with oil when replacing the oil filter. It's impossible without spilling oil on the engine block. IMO....there is enough oil covering the vital parts to let the engine run for 15 -20 seconds, after filter replacement, to give the new filter time to fill up with oil.

Yep ... the longest I've ever seen the oil pressure light stay on is 3~4 seconds upon first start-up on vehicles with a vertical filter with base down when a new dry filter is installed.

The same vehicle will take 1~2 seconds to get oil pressure on a cold start after sitting a day after the filter has been filled and the ADBV is doing its thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back