PurOne 14670 Media Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd post this link over here on the oil filter forum:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1787832#Post1787832

My 98 Volvo V70 T5 uses a PurOne 14670. I cut it open and included pics of the media & what it captured after a 5000mi rinse. I'm very impressed with the internal construction of the PurOne filters. The oil has stayed free of black soot as the photo shows.

I was curious what would show up in this filter after adding a can of BG109 to the old oil and letting it circulate ~ 20 min before draining it. Perhaps I should have cut open the old filter? Too bad, it's long gone. Oh well . . .

Can't go wrong with PureOne ... good bang for the buck.

Looks good! I've been using the same filter on my Jeep, so that gives me confidence in the build (not that I didn't already know the P1 was good).

Advance Auto Parts has an interesting display from Purolator describing the differences between PureOne filters and the DistancePlus filters.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Advance Auto Parts has an interesting display from Purolator describing the differences between PureOne filters and the DistancePlus filters.

What were the main differences per Purolator's display info?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

What were the main differences per Purolator's display info?

Nothing that hasn't been discussed here before on several threads and r_r's tesing. But, since there were a couple, 'I saw a display' posts yesterday, and since you're secretly from the 'show me' state, here ya go.
grin2.gif

AAPbdpP1003.jpg
AAPbdpP1004.jpg
AAPbdpP1005.jpg

sayjac - good info. So the Bosch DP has a synthetic fiber media, whereas the PureOne doesn't (?)(they don't really say anything about the PureOne media in the info). I guess that's why the media looks a little different in the photos (somewhere in this forum) if you see a new cut open PureOne and Bosch DP side-by-side.

Originally Posted By: cool_breeze
"2x greater burst strength" HAHA

Has anyone really every seen that occur?

Never in ~40 years of diy and shop serviced OC.
21.gif
But, the BDP does have a thicker can and base.

Originally Posted By: cool_breeze
"2x greater burst strength" HAHA

Has anyone really every seen that occur?

Several times in the 80's with my 1980 F-100 4.9L 6 and my 1989 4.9L 6 with the orange Fram's. The can's didn't explode thankfully, but they were balloned/swelled out. I caught them in time. It was very easy to see the oil filter with the hood open. I never had this problem with the Motorcraft oil filters. A defect in some Fram orange filters I suspect.

Whimsey

Wouldn't a higher burst strength mean a thicker shell and help protect better against debris, rocks that could get kicked up.

Yes, it would. However, on a lot of cars, it's not terribly relevant, as the rocks would have to go through other stuff before getting to the filter. In some applications, however, the thicker can is beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back