Motorcycle headlight range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what is the recommended range of a properly adjusted motorcycle headlight (low beam)?

I've tried googling, but not having much luck.

I expect the best you will find are headlight aiming instructions at a target at some distance. Then you can do the trig to find out range at the road or your height of interest.

If you are anything like the rider following me for a few miles today, I would suggest you harness the power of the sun, and aim them right into my mirror.

If you feel that you can't see the road far enough ahead of you then it may be too low. The faster you go the more pronounced it is of course.

If you are shining into the drivers mirrors in front then they are set too high.

IIRC, this won't help you, but when I had my bike I never felt comfortable above 35-40mph.

Of course cycling is a risk as well as riding at night, and going above that speed presents one as well. It never stopped me from hitting 70mph on the interstates, but I would try to stick near 'safe' drivers and use their auto's superior lighting system.

You just ever be too safe about a deer corpse or a shredded tractor tire in the middle of the road.

I've had one night encounter with an object in 40,000 miles. It was between Vegas and Pahrump going up a hill through a curve. Somehow, when cornering the beam hits the ground at a better angle and you can see better. Well, I was headed straight to this old tire and adjusted with a second or two to spare.

Cycling is an excellent cross trainer for driving a car. You become more courtious and aware of your surrounding, and see exits and escape routes and stuff.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
IIRC, this won't help you, but when I had my bike I never felt comfortable above 35-40mph.

Yeah, that's basically my issue. The beam pattern is so short, that it's really scary driving at night faster than that. I thought maybe my headlight wasn't adjusted right, so hence my original question.

I set the headlight so it looks right on high beam, then live with whatever low beam gives me. I don't like what the low beam gives me, but if I ever want to use high beam it's what I'm stuck with.

I could, however, try several different brands of headlight and see which one works best. That sounds a lot like work and money, though.

FYI... I did follow the directions from the link that swimmer posted above and now my low beam visibility is much better. My headlight was aimed waaay to low - maybe the previous owner was a really heavy guy.

I also switched the bulb to Sylvania SilverStar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back