Junk new parts and multiple part failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else seeing new parts that are junk, don't work etc? Today we had a 1990 Dodge B250 van in for an overeheat problem. We determined that The original fan clutch had puked it's silicone out and had lost it's spring.

So I ordered up a replacement. The replacement was a Hayden and was made in Corona, Ca(imagine that). I bolted it on and ran the van up to operating temp.

The temp kept climbing and the new fan clutch never hooked up. In fact I was running the engine @ 2000 rpm and I could see the fan blade barely moving. It was doing about 30 rpm.

I called the store that sent it and I got a 2nd fan clutch sent over. I put it on. Same thing! 245 degrees and the stupid fan clutch won't hook up and pull air!

Got a 3rd one from another supplier but it was also a Hayden.

Same thing! Thing won't hook up and spin the fan fast enough to pull air through the radiator. 245 degrees, hot hose, hot radiator core, weater is flowing but no fan clutch.

By now the customer was understandably upset and took the van. We lost the job/sale because we couldn't supply a needed part and I spent 4 hrs putting on and taking off defective new fan clutches.

Yeah I noticed the low quality high priced parts. Try to bill the parts store for the other 2 R&R hours tell the parts store you are eating the first R&R time.

Must have been a defective design... Next time try oem there is little difference in price depending what relationship you have with the dealer

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Must have been a defective design... Next time try oem there is little difference in price depending what relationship you have with the dealer
Big price difference. The Hayden cost me $30 and the dealer one was $280. And the dealer did not have one in stock.

Last edited:
I replaced a starter solenoid with a NAPA Echlin starter solenoid. Two days after the install, I shut off the truck and within five minutes the starter engaged. By the time I had disconnected the battery, the starter was smoking and the starter wire insulation had caught on fire. A small fire I was able to put out with a water bottle, but things could have been much worse had this happened if I was a mile away from the truck and it was in a parking garage. I was reluctant to install the part because where the metal to plastic seal was you could an incomplete seal. When I went in for an exchange, the replacement was the same, but worse. The metal plate was warped enough you could see light through it. And they call that a seal. If that were a marine part, I could have started a fire. Needless to say, Echlin has started to make stater solenoids as well as other electrical parts in China. I went to the Ford dealer and bought me a Mexican Motorcraft solenoid. Much better quality. It's a shame too because Echlin was always a name I trusted.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Big price difference. The Hayden cost me $30 and the dealer one was $280. And the dealer did not have one in stock.

Hint: The factory one cost more than $30 to manufacture,
and the Hayden unit cost less than $30 to sell AND distribute.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Hint: The factory one cost more than $30 to manufacture,
and the Hayden unit cost less than $30 to sell AND distribute.
We have been using Hayden fan clutches for years w/o any issues. I hope they are not cutting corners now. I would have put a dealer one on if I had one available to me.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Buwhaaahaaaaaaaaa CHINA!!!!
Made in Corona, Ca.

China, Mexico, what's the difference
grin2.gif

Not going to like what I say probably, but having three bad is very unlikely, as you must know. The part was likely wrong. I had Dodge van decades ago, 360 engine. I remember replacing the fan clutch and there were a number of variations relating to how heavy duty the cooling system was OE spec'd. The wrong clutch won't turn heavier wider fan blades properly. I don't think Hayden, cheep or not, makes them not working, probably none. I have found cheap parts largely OK, sorry but when car is repaired in a shop they always seem to use cheap, but charge me for rich.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
Not going to like what I say probably, but having three bad is very unlikely, as you must know. The part was likely wrong. I had Dodge van decades ago, 360 engine. I remember replacing the fan clutch and there were a number of variations relating to how heavy duty the cooling system was OE spec'd. The wrong clutch won't turn heavier wider fan blades properly. I don't think Hayden, cheep or not, makes them not working, probably none. I have found cheap parts largely OK, sorry but when car is repaired in a shop they always seem to use cheap, but charge me for rich.
I thought so too but Hayden only offers 1 fanclutch for this van # 7206 I think it was. It has an arrow and it turns the direction of the arrow and bolted to the fan and WP.

One my cars the fan clutch does not kick in until the vehicle has been driven for some time. Temp high or not. I would bet all of the fan clutches were fine

I just installed a new radiator in my brother in law's 2000 S10 from kragen and it started leaking right away. Debating if I should exchange it for another one of the same kind..

I thought so too but Hayden only offers 1 fanclutch for this van # 7206 I think it was. It has an arrow and it turns the direction of the arrow and bolted to the fan and WP.

Hmmm, as the other poster pointed out, there may be a problem with the part number, even given what you said. For my 1984 F-150 with the 300 six, I had a heck of a time getting the appropriate fan clutch with the proper thread and spin direction. All the combinations were available, but, obviously, only one was right. The local parts store (and a fine one at that) only listed one, and I believed them and went on my way.

Needless to say, it didn't work. I did some digging and read some spec sheets, and only one (not the one I had, of course) would actually work for my specific application. Coincidentally, one of the Haydens was the correct one. It's now discontinued, so I got OCD and ordered a second one as a spare.

Check the Hayden website. I was able to look through the specs carefully. That is one of the reasons I stick to OEM when feasible and cost effective. The odds of getting the correct part are much higher.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
One my cars the fan clutch does not kick in until the vehicle has been driven for some time. Temp high or not. I would bet all of the fan clutches were fine
The thing was 245 degrees. If it didn't hook up by then it's not gonna.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The thing was 245 degrees. If it didn't hook up by then it's not gonna.

+1

Would have been interesting to see what Hayden tech support would have to say on this? I am going through a nightmare on my Dad's older cheap lawn edger. Turns out the new pulley has a manufacturing defect and is not the right width.

My Brother in law's company finally got fed up with trying to deal with having parts made in China for the ROVs they manufacture.

Turns out China MFGr was wanting huge sums of money up front etc. I remember when we were having system shutdowns from shorting out of thruster motors when I used to work there. Turns out the China MFGr was pouring Carbon black into the mix of the molded plastic parts and power was shorting through the plastic into the water we tested them in. My Sister says it turns out to be cheaper just making the parts in the USA after all.

I never cease to be amazed by the cheap stuff I see made in Mexico, China, USA etc. I have to turn into MR SUPER modification/fabrication man just to do a simple job that should have had no drama. But Noooooooooooooooooo that just can't make it that simple........

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Would have been interesting to see what Hayden tech support would have to say on this? I am going through a nightmare on my Dad's older cheap lawn edger. Turns out the new pulley has a manufacturing defect and is not the right width.

Their email support was quite helpful with my little issue. They provided cross reference numbers, since they don't supply direct. All that fit was Hayden anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back