Tell me about Wolfs Head Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JustinC25
Wow, it's changed hands a few times.
I bought a quart for top off when I first got my license, and it said Ashland on the back.
This was in early '99.

You must have misread the label. Ashland has never had anything to do with Wolf's Head. They became a subsidiary of Pennzoil in the 60's and were bought outright by Pennzoil in the 80's.

Thanks for the info Johnny.
I bought it at the local general store near my house.
No disrespect is meant by this at all but,
It must have been a different Wolf's Head then, Because I destinctly remember specifically buying it because it said Ashland. Because my dad told me to only buy Valvoline, and I knew that Valvoline was Ashland. It was in a plain black bottle with a black label, and a small red pic of a wolf's head on the front. I think it was on the upper left of the label.
At the time I didn't look for the API star burst though.
I wonder if someone swapped the labels ? The store owner was thought to be kinda shady.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: JustinC25
Wow, it's changed hands a few times.
I bought a quart for top off when I first got my license, and it said Ashland on the back.
This was in early '99.

You must have misread the label. Ashland has never had anything to do with Wolf's Head. They became a subsidiary of Pennzoil in the 60's and were bought outright by Pennzoil in the 80's.

So Wolf`s Head is most likely comparable to Formula Shell,right?

hi i am new here and i want to know what outher brand of oil is like pennsoil i know that quaker state is close to the same thang but what about wolfshead valvoline exxon superflow havoline gulf oil shell and sunaco i know this older guy that used pennsoilin his rigs he stoped useing it because it cryallised the engine parts when he went to rebild it so thay used quaker state it did the same thang on the outher engine that he was rebilding in his outher rig this is why i want to know about the outher oil brands. i hope you can help thanks

One of the few American made reasonable priced oils that meets MBenz spec 229.51
ACEA C3 rated

and that is a tough rating to get to.

A great oil.
The SYN oil in the 5 W 30 weight looks impressive .

I'm using their 5w-20 Synpack (Full Synthetic) in my '07 Mazda6 V6. Got about 1200mi. on this fill. So far it's kept my car running smooth! Got it for around $3.00 a qt. on sale at ACE hardware a few months back. I'm gonna' send some in to Blackstone for a UOA when it's time to swap it out. If all is good, (as I'm sure it will be) I'll get more.

skunkstevens1
I'd appreciate a PM when you post that UOA
I am really interested in what you get out of that oil

A bunch of local garages around here use Wolf's Head in 12qt cases as their house oil. They must get a good deal from a local distributor.

My dad put 160,000 miles on a GM 2.2L in his 1997 S10 exclusively on it and the engine ran great up until it got totaled. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with this oil seeing it is API SM approved.

Originally Posted By: badnews
One of the few American made reasonable priced oils that meets MBenz spec 229.51
ACEA C3 rated

and that is a tough rating to get to.

A great oil.
The SYN oil in the 5 W 30 weight looks impressive .

Hmmm...sounds like it could be worth a try...

My local Sams Club sells Wolfs Head. I think they carry 10w30, and 10w40, maybe 5w30 but not 100% sure.
I think I paid $25 for a case, so $2.50 is no deal.
I have been running in my 93 Chevy p/u for an Auto-RX run.
I have used in it the past as well, seems to be decent stuff!
Good quality low cost oil.

Originally Posted By: mitchell
i know this older guy that used pennsoilin his rigs he stoped useing it because it cryallised the engine parts when he went to rebild it
Darn that awful Pennzoil. First it sludged up everyone's motors, now it crystallizes all the engine parts.

I guess I'll have to switch to Synlube...

I found it at my local Napa. I've got a case of their regular 5w20 waiting to be used in my Jeep. I was talking to my fiance's dad who has a high 8sec. Nova and he said him and his buddies that go drag racing use the Wolf's Head Syn. ATF in their trannies and havn't had any issues. I think he's been using Pennzoil in his bigblock though.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
It say`s on the Wolfs Head site they now have 5W-20/30 Synthetic. So I went to order some,and cant locate it on the Amalie site?

Search Amalie oil on Google and a few entries down is the Amalie Store. It aint cheap like it used to be...$60+ for 12 quarts shipped if I remember correctly that was for the SYN-PAC though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back