What makes Lucas so good?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes Lucas so successful. They sponsor seemingly every race series you see on TV, are all over the AZ and Napa store shelves.
What makes them such a successful brand?

They have great marketing and buyer's who don't research their products. I was the same way. The stuff is junk IMO, gets air bubbles in it and air is not a good lube for an engine. I stay away!!!

15.gif

I've tried some Lucas products and to be honest, I wasn't satisfied. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting much of a change; Guess that was a good thing since I couldn't tell any difference. Yes, that is very un-scientific.

I have had some good results with Gunk/Solder Seal (Radiator Specialty) products. Plus they are HQ'ed in Charlotte, NC and I like doing business locally when I can. It is getting harder to find their products these days, especially since the last independent parts store in my county has closed. I used to order some of their products a case at a time and it would come in on the regular order at a great price.

I was hoping to avoid any quality bashing and focus the retail success Lucas has had with branding.

Salesrep, I see Lucas advertised on many of the automotive shows on Speed channel. (or is it called Speed TV now?)

I've used their "tune-up in a bottle" stuff in old lawn equipment, it seems to have helped some.

They have a 0w40 synthetic oil I would consider using. (I'm betting it's made by someone else and just Lucas branded)

They have had a very aggressive marketing campaign for a long time, and good brand recognition as a result. People seem to buy what they see on the side of a Top Fuel car.

e.g. Castrol GTX was a popular product when John Force was winning race after race.

and mostly additives. What do you think there percent of sales is?
I guess 25% no 45% oil additives 45% fuel adds and the rest whatever. Thoughts?

Their advertising is branding. have you ever seen a specific lucas product tv or radio ad? I have not.

In the midwest, I have some family members who are master mechanics who blindly use the stuff.

That and Castrol Motor oil. It must be all the marketing that they do on the NHRA, and other events that "rednecks" attend.

I am pretty sure I have seen their ads on the Speed channel...maybe it was just a mention of their sponsorship.

Their products are at my local truckstop as well, but I have no idea if the truck shop seeked out the products or if they were contacted by Lucas. One thing I did notice, Lucas makes some products specifically for truckers, e.g. hub oil and 5th wheel lube.

They sell a TON to truckers. Their fuel injector and oil stabilizer by the gallons fly off the shelves. Where? When? did the truckers decide this stuff was needed enough to spend the monies on it?
Didn't they start in California? Heck I am not even sure how long they have been around.

u can do the same thing with 2 cycle oil added to ur gas at 1oz to 5 gal. of gas, make sure u get the 2 cycle oil with the additive twc3 in it. 13 bucks for pennzoil. Use MMO in ur oil if u want ....does great.

Quote:
What makes Lucas so successful.

Association with and sponsoring of Automotive Racing events, aggressive marketing, and selling third party products at premium prices with dirt cheap components, or in most cases, very little additives.

They somewhow appeal to those with little lubricant knowledge.

I consider them to be one of lots of noise and little substance.

Otherwise, I think they're a great company!
grin2.gif

They know how to market product. It has nothing to do with quality, marketing and a good sales team sells product. Lucas proves that time and time again.

Right. Good marketing in racing. Heck,those 1/4 mile ocis are too short,even for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back