Pondering what oil to use in my Pontiac G8-GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the OLM's are based upon the lowest based denominator oil. In the OP's case that's not the higher spec'd oil from GM. So using the higher spec'd oil should allow him to go safely to 0% and or longer than the OLM indicates
21.gif
. Also the greater the oil sump capacity the longer the OCI can be. I don't know whether the OLM takes this into consideration.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
You seem to be a candidate for the 0w-30 Signature Series motor oil.

This is what my brother runs in his Vette's LS2. A most excellent oil, but I get the feeling that SuperEd73 is concerned with GM spec certifications (even though we know, even without the prohiitvely costly tests, SSO surpasses them by far
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
The large sump would beg for bypass filtration.

Agreed, but there is precious little room in the engine compartments of modern GM LSx/V-8 cars (unlike the trucks).
I wanted to do this on mine, but still cannot find a way/room.
frown.gif

Great car by the way. Too bad GM didn't keep this one and rebadge it a Chevy. Since this is a Holden, and Vauxhall VXR8 wouldn't a Euro spec 5W40 be a good choice?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Great car by the way. Too bad GM didn't keep this one and rebadge it a Chevy. Since this is a Holden, and Vauxhall VXR8 wouldn't a Euro spec 5W40 be a good choice?
21.gif

One reason 5W-30 is spec'ed for the L76 is for the proper operation of the DOD.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
21.gif

I've heard rumors of this car being rebadged as a Caprice. I love this car, and wish I was in the position to buy one when they were available.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Whimsey,

From what I gathered from this forum the GM "OLM" is based on driving habits and calculates the best time to do your oil change.

Durango

The GM OLM is based on engine temperature and engine rpm's. IMO there should no problem running out to 0% with a quality synthetic.

The first 235k miles on my 04 2500 were run at 200%( 2x) olm with about a 90% use of M1 5w30. With the help of a uoa I'm going to see if I can do this with the Delo I'm now running.

Originally Posted By: 3311

The GM OLM is based on engine temperature and engine rpm's.

MANY more data points than just those two for the OLM.

Bill

Originally Posted By: SuperEd73
Win,

Nope, bought the car brand new from a Pontiac dealer here on Long Island. I don't recall receiving the coupons however. I'll have to check the Pontiac folder I keep with all of the service receipts, letters, etc.

What Win said....If you bought the car new you are eligible for the free oil changes and tire rotations for at a year. Take your car to the dealer and have them run the VIN, it will/should show that the car is eligible.

As far as oil goes, I run GC 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40 in my GTO and it loves the stuff. But I'm out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Such as?

Engine Temp
Ambient Temp
Engine total RPM's since last re-set
Number of cold starts
Number of starts

There are others, I cant recall.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill
I would like to know as well.

Well with 3 pages of so called "Profesional [censored]" what did you decide on SuperEd.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill
I would like to know as well.
According to this and my manual it is only engine rpm(of course it would be total rpm's) and temperature.
http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/simplified_maintenance_040104.jsp

There was an engineer here who worked on the design and it takes data from;

Outside temps
Engine temp
RPM
Coolant temp
MAF
Length of trip
Idling (how long)
Knock sensors
Vehicle speed
Throttle position
Oil pressure
Transmission temps and load (on some models)

I'm sure I'm missing some things. Bottom line is it works well. I'd trust it with rated oil with no worries.

Bill

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130036#Post130036

Did I miss something with that post or does it only say temperature and rpm?

The way I read it, the engineer is saying that the basic curve is determined by the engine revolutions. But then that curve is altered according to the other factors mentioned.

Would you say that, a system that employs this regimen is "only" measuring engine RPM's/temperature?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130036#Post130036

Did I miss something with that post or does it only say temperature and rpm?

The way I read it, the engineer is saying that the basic curve is determined by the engine revolutions. But then that curve is altered according to the other factors mentioned.

Would you say that, a system that employs this regimen is "only" measuring engine RPM's/temperature?

Yes, The other factors mentioned all affect engine temperature so why factor them independently. Not trying to argue, it is only my opinion based on my limited readings on the subject.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back