recommend an oil for 2003 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Son in law just got a 2003 Honda Accord V6 with 95,000 miles. He's down for the 4th and needs an oil change. I looked over his owners manual and it calls for 5w-20 for all engine models. This seems strange 4 and 6 bangers use the same oil. Anyway, What would provide the best protection here? Lots of short trips (3-5 miles) and being a used car some clean up would be nice too. please recommend grades and not just brands.
Thanks in advance.

If it specs for 5w20, I would stick with that. My vote is for Pennzoil Platinum (Or Ultra if you can find it)

My 2003 Honda v6 engines (Pilot and Odyssey) are in excellent shape at 92K and 131K miles on a diet of Mobil 1 5W20 and Purolator Pure 1 PL14459 filters every 5000 miles. (The PL14610 is recommended but the 14459 fits and has more filter media)

Steve

I'd stick with 5w20 as spec'd, no different than the 4. I'd think it has an OLM which he could follow with confidence. Or, if he's more comfortable with a shorter OCI 5k/6 month OCI with any quality name brand dino, like QS, HavDS, PYB or my preference in 5w20 dino's, Motorcraft syn blend. I wouldn't see any need to go any shorter OCI than that.

Have a 3.0L V-6, just finished a 1year (~10%OLM)OCI using 5w20 QSHP/UD syn and a Pure1 filter. Right now it's $8.50 for a 5 qt jug at Wally with a $10 rebate, not bad.

Key thing, I see the V6 has 95k, which means, if it hasn't been done, it's about time for the timing belt/water pump service. Not something to be neglected.

Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend from WalMart ($12 per 5 Qt Jug).
No need to spend more. Change it when the OLM says. The Honda system is well proven.

+1 on staying with 5w20. It works well, and PP or Ultra will gently clean what might need cleaning.

One indication is just to take off the oil fill cap--you'll be looking straight down onto the top of the cylinder head and the valves etc right there. It won't tell you everying but it's helpful. The other is to look at the upper length of the dipstick for any varnish that might be there.

Also, be sure to change the ATF unless there are records showing otherwise, and be sure to do it every 15-20k to be conservative. Valvoline Maxlife and others come highly recommended. If he wants to stick with Z1, okay, but either way do the 3x drain/refill. The owner's manual talks about it. It's really simple.

That's a good point about the timing belt/water pump. I think they're due at 105k, if that year is like my 2007 V6.

The 2003 does not have an oil life monitor, just a reminder light that goes off at a preset mileage interval. 5W20 would be the one to stick with.

Castrol High Mileage 5w-20, and if it's an auto tranny, Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF.

I'm not a fan of the water thin 5w-20's..

I'd say 5w-30 Chevron Supreme or Havoline Deposit Shield changed every 5k.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I'm not a fan of the water thin 5w-20's..

I'd say 5w-30 Chevron Supreme or Havoline Deposit Shield changed every 5k.

Castrol High Mileage 5w-20 is 9.0, while Chevron Supreme 5-30 is around 9.8 So I guess that makes the CS w-30 pretty watery too.

As others have said, no OLM on the '03 Accord V6. I know, I own one. I change the oil in ours every 5k miles, which is between the factory severe and normal recommended intervals (3,750 and 7,500 miles, respectively). The oil change reminder light is just a dumb mileage counter which comes on at about 7,500 miles from the last time it was reset.

I run whichever name brand 5W-20 synthetic I happen to have on hand. Thanks to the deals posted on this forum I always seem to have a good stock of Pennzoil, Valvoline or other synthetics I paid $2 or less per quart for.

Do be aware that you are coming upon the 105,000 mile timing belt change interval.

Know this is late,but fyi. My 02 accord v6 seems to like the 5-20 M1 EP. Also have the honda dealer do a drain and fill on the ATF. Use only Honda ATF as the trans can be particular re the atf.

We own a 2002 honda accord with the v6. I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is quieter and smoother with the Mobil 1 5w20 than it is with the Pennzoil Platinum 5w20.

I have nothing against the Platinum and personally love it, but it just does not run as smooth in this engine. I beleive Castrol Edge 5w20 would also run quite well.

Thats just my 2 cents though.

Mine seems to run just as smoothly with the PP. The PP does not seem as durable as the EP in my use. 108k runs like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back