Help!!!!!! Need Larger Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filter in my 2006 Optima V6 is smaller than my lawn tractor’s filter. I have tried without success to find to a larger (longer) filter. I even tried calling K&N with no success. Fram used to have a book with filter dimensions in it (height, diameter, gasket size and the thread size). I have been unable to lay my hands on one. I have been unable to find the info online. The V6 engine uses a Fram XG9688 or a K&N HP1008. Like I said before the filter can be at least twice as tall and a little (very little) larger diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

kajunman

A real parts store will be able to look up compatible filters, my local NAPA parts place will atleast.
The one for my tracker is small too, 3.2"x2.7", but I don't think it matters for a "normal" OCI on a reasonabley healthy engine. Bigger can't hurt I guess but don't worry about it too much.
Also welcome to BITOG
welcome2.gif

Maybe a K&N HP-1010 or others with a M20 x 1.5 thread and 68 mm diameter, but longer than 73 mm. You'll have to visually inspect them to see if the gaskets match. Check the relief settings. I see several doing a dogpile.com search.

There are not many options for that thread - I know 'cause that's what my car has too.

Try a Wix 51344 or NAPA equivalent. They're not common and tend to be a little pricey but NAPA should have them or be able to get them.

Also try the filter for an early '90s Corvette ZR1 (Purolator L14619). It must be a ZR1. They also use the M20x1.5 thread. (A regular Corvette from those years uses a different thread.)

You'll have to see if they indeed fit and gaskets match up etc etc

good luck!

Originally Posted By: lewdwig
Maybe a K&N HP-1010 or others with a M20 x 1.5 thread and 68 mm diameter

+1

If a K&N HP-1008 works, then the following should too, just as long as there's enough clearance for the longer filter.

Purolator PureONE PL14610
Mobile 1 M1-110
K&N HP-1010
Bosch D3323
WIX 51356 (or equivalent NAPA Gold)
DENSO 150-1010 (or 150-1009)

My Nissan calls for a K&N HP-1008 size filter, but I've been using the size of the above listed since the factory fill was dumped at 4K miles.

For a 2006 Kia Optima 2.7L V6, the Purolator web site lists a PL14459 which by some is even better. It has more filtering media and specs as 99.9% a 20 microns instead of at 40 microns like the PL14610.

Last edited:
FRAM PH2849A should also work, it has same thread and same external gasket diameter, it is almost 5 inches long!

if you are looking for a little better filter than go for

Amsoil EA036
WIX 51347

Last edited:
Here's some info. on the PL14459 I posted in the motorcycle forum this morning. Note the dimensions.

I learned on here that for some reason the PureOne PL14459 meets the 99.9% efficient rating and the PL14610 doesn't. Frankly, I doubt it matters much, but I decided to try the PL14459 which is fatter (3.15"), shorter (2.95"), but with the same gasket diameter. The 14459 fits really nicely on my Kawasaki Ninja 500, and I like the way it doesn't protrude as far and looks to be better protected in there (though I have never busted an oil filter!). In any case, I just thought that others might want to know there is another option to the frequently used NAPA 1355, the SuperTech ST7317, the PureOne 14610, or the Wix 51356 size. Just be sure to check that you can handle the fatter diameter.

Kajunman, ---Look at the Wix 51344 (NAPA 1344). This one has the correct 2.490" gasket.--Oldtommy

Thank you all for your present and future help. I am in the process of checking gasket areas to see what matches and what is close.

Thanks again,

Kajunman

Both. I presonally think the filter is too small. Kia not being a premium brand, I think they skimped on the filter.

kajuman

I doubt that. If they were going to skimp, it'd be on filter quality, not filter size. Filter size is mostly driven by engineering and the engine's mechanics (for the lack of a better description).

The OEM filter is fine use that. The filter is made or was made by Mahn? in Korea is of very good quality. You also have to be concerned with oil flow rate through it.

Ken

If this thing has been alive for four years, the stock oil filter is just fine.
After break-in, there isn't that much to filter out.
I don't think you need a larger filter, unless you want one large enough to increase oil capacity significantly.
Rest easy.
Th stock Kia filter size is fine.
I feel the same about the teacup on our Forester.
Still, I know that the filter is plenty large for any reasonable drain interval, and probably two of them.
Cut open a used filter sometime, and see how clogged it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back