cSt @ 100c vs HTHS for determining mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
In the grand scheme of things in a normal street engine which would be most desirable? The little better protection or the fuel economy?

Does a 2.7 HT/HS vary that much from a 3.1 to really matter?

Basically you're talking the difference between a 20wt and a typical 30wt oil. So yes you're going to see 1-2 percent better fuel economy and power. As far as protection is concerned I believe the following quote covers it;

" you want the oil to be as light as possible and as thick as necessary".

So engine oil = steel balls covered in mucus.

Nice.

lol.gif

Bump
Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
Some companies list it and some don't. I know Red Line, Amsoil, and Pennzoil list it. I'm not sure if Valvoline does. It will be listed as HTHS on the spec sheet.

Valvoline does not. They do publish zinc/phos and moly on the spec sheets.

They did answer a recent email I sent regarding the HTHS of 5W-20 and 5W-30 Synpower and Maxlife products in which they stated that both those 5W-20 products have an HTHS of 2.6, and both the 5W-30 products are 2.9.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Bump
Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
Some companies list it and some don't. I know Red Line, Amsoil, and Pennzoil list it. I'm not sure if Valvoline does. It will be listed as HTHS on the spec sheet.

Valvoline does not. They do publish zinc/phos and moly on the spec sheets.

They did answer a recent email I sent regarding the HTHS of 5W-20 and 5W-30 Synpower and Maxlife products in which they stated that both those 5W-20 products have an HTHS of 2.6, and both the 5W-30 products are 2.9.

That's the lowest HTHS vis I've seen for a 30wt oil. As you know
a SAE 30wt oil must have a HTHS vis greater than 2.9 cP.
I wonder if Valvoline is just quoting spec' minimums or indeed their dinos are that light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back