Is there consensus on Fram High Mileage filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Back when the Teflon fad was occurring, the marketing whiz's at Fram must have thought they would cash in on the craze and developed the Double Guard, clever name. The idea being to release the Teflon through the filter with pre treated media.
smirk2.gif
Since discontinued.

There are many, what ifs' and possibilties, but it boils down to, do you want your filter maker/manufacturer to decide what additives/chemicals go in your oil? I don't. I'll leave that to oil manufacturers, and change it regularly.

And, pick a filter for quality construction, with good filtration at a reasonable price.

I'll skip the High Mileage "sizzle" Fram is selling here.
49.gif

When were they discontinued? I still see many places one could waste money on a Double Guard at.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Back when the Teflon fad was occurring, the marketing whiz's at Fram must have thought they would cash in on the craze and developed the Double Guard, clever name. The idea being to release the Teflon through the filter with pre treated media.
smirk2.gif
Since discontinued.

There are many, what ifs' and possibilties, but it boils down to, do you want your filter maker/manufacturer to decide what additives/chemicals go in your oil? I don't. I'll leave that to oil manufacturers, and change it regularly.

And, pick a filter for quality construction, with good filtration at a reasonable price.

I'll skip the High Mileage "sizzle" Fram is selling here.
49.gif

When were they discontinued? I still see many places one could waste money on a Double Guard at.
I suggest you email Fram for that answer. However, the Double Guard is no longer in the Fram line up of oil filters, listed here. I have no doubt that they are still available as old stock, waiting on some unknowing mark.

I have no doubt that they are still available as old stock, waiting on some unknowing mark.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Some like the XG (I think it is, I don't really look at them). They are one of Fram's "best" filters, but they cost almost as much as an M1 EP.

-Spyder

They are about 8 bucks at Walmart while the M1 EP is 13 bucks at a part store. That is not almost as much.

That's where you are, and as I don't buy my filters there, I have no idea what they cost at your WM. At mine they are over $10 (I don't buy Fram, so I didn't note the exact price), and to me that is almost as much. Particularly if you average the difference out over the oil drain interval that both are designed for. In the case of the M1 EP, when used for the 15,000 mile OCI Mobil markets it for, then $3 or $4 is nothing. Even pushing my driving beyond what I do now, $4 over an estimated 8 month period (again, based on my driving and using the filter for the OCI its designed for), that's 50 cents a month extra. So yeah, I stand by what I said: they are almost as much as the better M1 EP.

-Spyder

Some like the XG (I think it is, I don't really look at them). They are one of Fram's "best" filters, but they cost almost as much as an M1 EP.

-Spyder

They are about 8 bucks at Walmart while the M1 EP is 13 bucks at a part store. That is not almost as much.

That's where you are, and as I don't buy my filters there, I have no idea what they cost at your WM. At mine they are over $10 (I don't buy Fram, so I didn't note the exact price), and to me that is almost as much. Particularly if you average the difference out over the oil drain interval that both are designed for. In the case of the M1 EP, when used for the 15,000 mile OCI Mobil markets it for, then $3 or $4 is nothing. Even pushing my driving beyond what I do now, $4 over an estimated 8 month period (again, based on my driving and using the filter for the OCI its designed for), that's 50 cents a month extra. So yeah, I stand by what I said: they are almost as much as the better M1 EP.

-Spyder

I am just curious to why you think that the Mobil 1 ep filter is better? The Fram XG is good for 16 000kms and is $2 cheaper then the Mobil 1.

This is sorta fun. Canadians get to argue over different filters than we do south of the border.
grin2.gif

Over here you get 5 quarts of M1 and a M1 filter for $28 as part of the autozone and advanced auto deals. So most of us pay around $7 for the M1 filters even though they are $12 normally.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88

-Spyder

-Spyder

I am just curious to why you think that the Mobil 1 ep filter is better? The Fram XG is good for 16 000kms and is $2 cheaper then the Mobil 1.

Out of an online comparison I remembered that included several different Fram filters and the Mobil EP. My memory, I admit, was flawed: the study included the Extra Guard, but not the Xtended Guard. I confused the two. They are very different animals, that can be similarly abbreviated.

When I just checked the reference site, I noticed the discrepancy. So I retract my comments about the XG and any comparison I made to the M1 EP (I can admit when I'm wrong). Appologies to Fram and XG users.

-Spyder

That is ok spyder7, I wish that we all could admit when we are wrong.
grin2.gif
I just asked because I have used almost every filter available for my Saab and found that the only filters that get rid of my tick at startup were the Fram XG, Mobil 1 and K&N. The only reason I buy the fram is because it is the cheaper of the 2 around here.

Last edited:
It may very well be an excellent filter. I had completely mixed it up with another animal entirely. I've noticed more than a few here on BITOG have given Fram high marks for the XG. I'm undecided on my next filter as it depends, in part, on how much sludge gets cleaned out on my current short OCI.

I may try one at some point myself. Pricing is a factor, as I'm not entirely sure now on even how close they are in price here. If it turns out to be more than $3 when I'm shopping again for a filter like this one, then I may indeed try it for myself. I get things wrong sometimes, but when I catch my mistake I'll admit it, and I try and keep an open mind too.

A few bucks saved on similar products can add up over time.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back