Pondering what oil to use in my Pontiac G8-GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

In an effort to save some $$$ from bringing my car to the dealer for the next oil change, I'll probably do the job myself. The engine holds 8.8 qts! It's the L76 6.0L V8. So based on what the dealers around here charge, I could cut the price from the $90-$100 range to about half that. The current fill is Mobil 1 5W-30. I'm not in love with any particular brand of oil so I'm open for opinions. I'd like to stay with a synthetic however since I'm following the OLM these days and I feel better about having the extra protection. The only oil grade recommended in the manual is 5W-30 so I'll be sticking with that as well. Based on my current driving patterns the OLM would probably get to 0% in the 8000-9000 mile range from what I've seen so far.

Also I'm open for filter options as well!

Thanks!

Ed B.

I'm liking Castrol Edge I'm currently using it in two vehicles, in 0w20 and 5W30. Both are very quiet and running well. I was also happy with PP, and there are a lot of good reports with PU. Take your pick, if money is a concern watch the sales then decide.

I like Pure One, and Mobil 1 filters. See if you can find an oil deal with any of the above oils that includes 5 qts and a filter. I was able to get in on a 5 qt Edge deal including a Mobil 1 filter for about $30.

Nothing wrong with the Mobil 1 you're using now. But any of the major's synthetics should be able to handle what you need.

As for as filters, take your pick, Mobil 1, Purolator, WIX, AC, or even the dreaded FRAM.

If you want to save money, buy whatever synthetic oil that meets the GM4718 & 6094 spec's that are on sale and have a rebate. Quaker State Ultra Premium has a nice $10 one, so does Castrol Edge (although theirs is a bit complex). Mobil 1 0/5/10W-30 is also relativity inexpensive at Wal-Mart at $21 a jug...

AFAIK, the dealer should be changing it for free with factory fill grade oil according to the fine print on the coupon.

I got a coupon for four (4) free services annually for all of my new Pontiacs, including lube, oil, and filter, although I choose to do the oil changes myself, but let them fool with the tire rotations, etc.

Why didn't you get the coupon for free preventative maintenance? Did you buy the car second hand?

I'd give Quaker State Ultimate Durability Q Horsepower full synthetic a try. Assuming you have a Walmart near you, you should be able to get two 5-quart jugs for around $37 + tax. And assuming that you have a family member's address where you can submit a second rebate, you'll can submit for $20 in rebates. So your end cost on the oil would be under $20.

As for a filter, I would suggest any of the following:

Purolator PureONE
NAPA Gold (Same as WIX)
WIX (Same as NAPA Gold)
Mobil 1
K&N
Bosch Distance

Though I wouldn't pay the full price of $12+ for any of those last three. They're great filters but over-priced IMO.

Win,

Nope, bought the car brand new from a Pontiac dealer here on Long Island. I don't recall receiving the coupons however. I'll have to check the Pontiac folder I keep with all of the service receipts, letters, etc.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
If you want to save money, buy whatever synthetic oil that meets the GM4718 & 6094 spec's that are on sale and have a rebate. Quaker State Ultra Premium has a nice $10 one, so does Castrol Edge (although theirs is a bit complex). Mobil 1 0/5/10W-30 is also relativity inexpensive at Wal-Mart at $21 a jug...

I think this is the best advice here. Just buy the most inexpensive synthetic oil that meets the spec, change according to the OLM and you will eliminate all likelihood of oil related problems that could stem from choice of oil.

It took some time on BITOG for me to get there, and I know what it feels like to want the best for a brand new car. Bitog converted me from needing M1 only for my new car to knowing that I'll get excellent performance from nearly every name-brand offering that meets the spec. My UOAs backed it up after being convinced in theory by all of the fantastic "Bill_in_Utah" uoas on garden variety PYB and Havoline.

Does this car REQUIRE 4718M oil, or just 6094M oil?

Makes a differnece in what synthetics you can and can't use for warranty.

I bought mine second hand and its known that used purchases are not eligible for the coupon offers from GM.

But, he bought it new, he should have got the maintenance coupon in the mail in the spring.

This is not rocket science,if it was my car it would run Pennz Platinum 5w30 and WIX filters
thumbsup2.gif

Addyguy,

Oddly enough GM states in the owners manual that the L76 6.0L V8 only requires the lesser 6094M standard. It's the G8-GXP LS3 6.2L V8 where they require the higher level 4718M oil and comes with Mobil 1 as factory fill. But for the marginally higher cost and piece of mind, I've been going with synthetic after the FF was dumped from the sump.

Ed B.

I agree with going with a synthetic, I'm just saying that you are not 'limited' to the 4718M list - lots of syns are 6094M certified, but not 4718M certified, so it gives you more choice.

I am an Amsoil preffered customer. Not a dealer. You seem to be a candidate for the 0w-30 Signature Series motor oil. The large sump would beg for bypass filtration. I have a 2005 Duramax Diesel with no oil changes for three years. Service filters and top off levels the UOA is excellent. Just my $.02

Originally Posted By: SuperEd73
Win,

Nope, bought the car brand new from a Pontiac dealer here on Long Island. I don't recall receiving the coupons however. I'll have to check the Pontiac folder I keep with all of the service receipts, letters, etc.

I ran 10w-30 synthetic, usually Havoline, in the LS1 in my '04 GTO. I'm not sure how much the L76 differs from the LSx series engines, apart from the obvious variable displacement valvetrain gear.

I'm using M1 0w-40 in mine, because I want to run the full OLM interval, likely to be 11K + miles in my driving conditions, and I expect the 0w-40 to end up as a 0w-30.

Our engines are pretty different though! Mine's Ignition Orange, what's yours?

SuperEd73,

I too use the OLM in my 09' Impala SS and based on my driving habits it takes me and my Mobil 1 synthetic to 6K for my OCI's.

If you want/need extra protection then I'd consider Mobil 1 "extended" and that should handle all your needs easy. I am shocked that your engine take so much oil for your sump!!!! If you go extended then expect to pay around $70 bucks easy so be aware.
As far as filters go I'd just stick to the OEM type from GM. It should be able to handle the distance but I wouldn't go too far beyond your OLM's suggested mileage.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back