R134a can, DIY recharge - leak stop question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: onion
Be sure and purge those hoses.

That is actually another question of mine. There aren't any instructions with this miracle-in-a-can about purging the line. I haven't yet looked at how the trigger attaches to the can to see if there's a purge opportunity there. Would the low side "male" fitting on the can pass refrigerant before it's connected, or do both the car and can fitting have spring loaded action?

I know that I want to either let refrigerant out of the car through the hose after attaching to the car, or let refrigerant out of the can before attaching to the car in order to purge. I'm just not sure what would work out the best for this particular can/applicator which isn't using a manifold.

Quote:

As for the stopleak- my understanding is that it's designed to swell rubber seals. I don't see how it could affect an orifice... we aren't talking about CHUNKS or anything. I doubt it'll be perfect, but charging as a vapor should effectively distill quite a bit of the stopleak and dye out.

This is one of my issues as well. In general some stopleaks are simply ester-rich compounds which swell seals. Other stopleaks are actually compounds which "gunk" up the leaks. I don't personally know what kind would be in this can. If it's a bit of ester, as long as it doesn't make fudge when combined with the oils already in the system it doesn't frighten me a lot. It's the "gunk" kind that would worry me.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Purge the line on aftermarket AC fillers.
A trigger makes this easy. A quick blip.
If not, reach in and open the valve to purge it, then attach the line to the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back